Kate's Reviews > Broken Bulbs

1914270
Jun 23, 2010

bookshelves: signed-by-author, bizarro
Recommended to Kate by: Eddie Wright
Recommended for: Those who are looking for a different kind of drug addiction story

Eddie Wright is another up and coming writer that you should keep your eye on.

This book turned out to be a wild and bizarre ride through an addicts mind. However, this isn't a story about a traditional drug addict, oh no.

The story is told through three main characters - Frank or Franky-boy, Dusty, and Bonnie. Frank is addicted to Insipicorp's Inspirational Toothpaste and Bonnie's inspirational messages such as: "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Keep on brushing! Bye!

However, when the samples of the toothpaste stop coming and Frank no longer hears Bonnie's voice, he gets even stranger and has an encounter with the mailman because he feels as if he's nothing without Bonnie and Inspicorp's Inspirational Toothpaste.

Dusty was Frank's hampster when he was young and I know it sounds wierd, but the way Eddie Wright weaves this strange story within Frank and Bonnie's story, was really well done I thought.

Also, when you first pick up this book and start reading you will be halfway through the story thinking WTF. When you have a moment like that it's important to just keep on reading. It's only at the end that the whole story really even starts to makes sense and you're like ok I get it now, that's cool. At least that's the way it worked for me.

I am looking forward to seeing what Eddie's next book will be like. Happy reading and remember Bonnie loves you!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Bulbs.

Quotes Kate Liked

Eddie Wright
“I was having a lovely day. It's always a lovely day, for tooth decay.”
Eddie Wright, Broken Bulbs

June 23, 2010 – Shelved
June 23, 2010 – Shelved as: signed-by-author
July 7, 2010 – Started Reading
July 14, 2010 –
page 22
23.66% "An interesting portrait of an addicts mind."
July 15, 2010 –
page 76
81.72% "I'm the worst kind of nothing. I'm the kind of nothing that wants to be something, but has nothing to be."
July 15, 2010 – Shelved as: bizarro