Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Flipped

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Jun 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: books-to-teach

This was a fun book to read, because it is told from two different points of view in alternating chapters. Juli and Bryce are both very different, and yet they are alike in some ways. The title of the book is perfect because it has many meanings which become evident throughout the book.

My students enjoyed reading this book because they could relate to the characters; all of them knew someone like Bryce or Juli.

Final project for the book had students working in pairs to create two additional chapters for the book, one from Juli's POV and one from Bryce. They were very well done and each student was able to end the book the way they wanted it to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flipped.

Beth Fred Did you feel this book was set in the present? From the way the characters (all of them) used lanugage, some of the descriptions, and the whole basket boy scene, I felt this book was set in the 50's or 60's. But then there was the incident w/ the CD and the shopping online. But I've noticed none of the reviews have mentioned that,so I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Jennifer Lavoie Beth wrote: "Did you feel this book was set in the present? From the way the characters (all of them) used lanugage, some of the descriptions, and the whole basket boy scene, I felt this book was set in the 50'..."

I did feel that it was set in the present, though the basket boy lunch was very odd to me. It did seem like something from the past, though since it is school tradition, I suppose it works. My school did not have anything like that, but I could believe there are other schools that would have something like this.

Beth Fred Thank you. I guess I was thrown off by the "willies" and "buddy." I'm getting ready to review this on my blog so I just wanted to get my facts straight.