C.G. Drews's Reviews > When You Leave

When You Leave by Monica Ropal

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2015

Okay, WOW, this book took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting a lot. It was the cover and the promise of muuuurder (I'm normal, I swear) that dragged me in. But the first 30% was so much teen angst, cheating, lying, and general meanness all round that I was about to throw up my hands and run away. I'm SO glad I didn't. It turned into quite the mind whirling whodunnit mystery that I could NOT figure out.

I'm definitely a big fan of murder mysteries. This one does take a while to warm up, though. The ending = EXTRAORDINARY. The beginning = snoozefest. It's narrated by Cass, who is an interest girl. She's a skater and snarky and goes to a private school where she doesn't really belong (because her step-dad is rich). She's kind of built up walls to stop herself being "hurt". Apparently (according to the blurb) this is because her BFF, Mattie, nearly died of throat cancer. This is totally traumatic. Buuuut, as readers, we didn't see this. So I kind of didn't really feel why Cass was so snarky to everyone and closed off. WHY?! She had her group of tight-knit skater friends, which is cool...but she was an absolute snob at school. She was pretty unlikeable, but she's supposed to be that way. This is a story of her growing. I really liked the end result and her character development was A+.

SO. MURDER? WHO DID IT THEN! Pfft. As if I'll say. But, I have to admit, as soon as Cooper died (also, what is it with Coopers and dying? I read Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead not too long ago. Cooper is a jinxed name, apparently) I was suspecting EVERYONE. One of Cass' skater/poor friends is the suspect. But what if it was one of Cooper's jock friends? WHAT IF IT WAS MATTIE?!! I loved Mattie. He was a sweetie, and also mute, but as he and Cass grew apart through the incredible stress in the book...I started giving him shifty eyes and I was scared. I did suspect everyone, so YEAH I GUESSED RIGHT. Ha ha. Okay. No. I really didn't have a clue until 90%. I loved that. So much guessing! So much potential! I literally couldn't put it down after 60%!

Also: I LOVED that Mattie and Cass had an awesome friendship that was purely platonic. SO REFRESHING!!

Although, a few little negatives:
- The beginning being so sleepy. Seriously, I was suspecting it'd be 2-stars. But It's basically a 3.5-star rating.
- The fact that Mattie can't talk but doesn't appear to have any other form of communication. this really bugged me because I thought it was unrealistic. Why isn't he learning sign language? Why isn't he writing/texting what he wants to say? Nope. Mattie talks solely through "his eyes". So basically ALL his dialogue is Cass making up what she thinks he'll say. WHAT EVEN?!! I didn't buy this at all. Even though I thought Mattie was sweet, I really didn't know him because we only had him from Cass predictions of what he "might" be saying. So. unsatisfactory.
- All the cheating and lying was driving me CRAZY. But...um, I guess that's the point of the book?
- Cass' "walls", which I wasn't always sure why existed.
- The sheer jerkiness of almost ALL the characters. But hey. That's also the point of the book.

I honestly enjoyed this one! The mystery was so well done and literally EVERYONE was a liar at some point and it was so so suspicious. I loved Cass by the end and totally recommend this one.

"I'm afraid...that when the next person leaves with a piece of my heart..there won't be anything left."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Leave.

October 18, 2014 – Shelved
October 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 16, 2015 – Started Reading
March 16, 2015 –
30.0% "I was about to pass out from boredom and then SOMEBODY WAS MUUUURDERED. So I'm interested now."
March 16, 2015 –
61.0% "description"
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mpur (new) - added it

Mpur Chan This book is about murder??? OMG! That's a nice idea of the story. From the cover, I thought it's about heartbreak. :D

C.G. Drews @Mpur: I know, right?! I thought it was just an average sad book but IT'S ABOUT A MURDER. It's a whodunnit!