Kristin's Reviews > In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

bookshelves: books-i-own

I really enjoyed this (though it took me entirely too long to read!!). I'm not sure whether it was just because it had been a while since I'd read one of his books, or if this is just one of his less negative books, but his voice here didn't grate on me like it does sometimes. Maybe it's just that he really has a fondness for Australia and it shows (similar to his Notes from a Small Island).

Anyway, other than a brief stint as a preteen when I was interested in Australia because I was obsessed with the Newsboys and most of those guys were Australian, I really knew next to nothing about it. And it turns out that it's a very strange, fascinating place.

This is typical Bill Bryson, though like I said, toned down and more enjoyable and positive than usual. It also seemed less crude than some of his other books, which I appreciated. His description of cricket was hilarious!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Sunburned Country.

October 18, 2014 – Shelved
October 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 29, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own
July 25, 2017 – Started Reading
July 31, 2017 –
page 68
August 6, 2017 –
page 68
20.3% "His description and explanation of cricket made me laugh so hard. :)"
August 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tayler (new)

Tayler McCrery Thanks for the review! I've always wanted to read some Bryson, but never knew where to start. This sounds like a good place since I've always been weirdly fascinated by Australia. :D

Kristin Tayler wrote: "Thanks for the review! I've always wanted to read some Bryson, but never knew where to start. This sounds like a good place since I've always been weirdly fascinated by Australia. :D"

This would be a good place to start with Bryson! A toned down version of his usual self, but a good chance to see if you like his writing style, etc. :) Another good choice would be Notes from a Small Island (his British travel memoir) because it's one of his less negative ones, ha. I keep reading his books but sometimes I find him so annoying!