Sabra Embury's Reviews > Imperial Bedrooms

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis

bookshelves: quick-read

A screenwriter named Clay returns to the LA scene, after being MIA for a while in NY; he runs the same circle of friends, the same places, the same parties, drinking Grey Goose here and there in Hollywood.

Clay begins to receive mysterious texts on his iPhone, he thinks he's being followed, he meets a hot blond; she must know some tricks, she must have (all of the above of) some killer ______; because she is the reason why everything is happening, why enemies and death are residual effects for the exclusive rights of her tequila wafting, naked body, passed vigorously amongst mutually obsessed friends. And all she ever wanted to be...was famous.

As an LA native, I appreciated the landmark mentions. As a person keeping an eye on the screenwriting industry here, I was entertained by the desperate-talentless-actress-trying-to-fuck-her-way-to-the-top narrative.

As a woman reading a book written by a man describing the situation of a female practicing pussypower polyandry amongst slimy heterosexual movie industry people, this is why Ellis' books are labeled "fiction" versus "self-help" or "cultural anthropology."

Ellis' far-fetchedness can often times be bewildering from build-up--right through a bloody suit, a botched facelift, or a violent Ex-Lax laced three-way. But this is indeed what makes him adorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Bedrooms.

Started Reading
June 23, 2010 – Shelved
June 23, 2010 – Shelved as: quick-read
June 23, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Were you tempted to go see his reading in NY last week?

Sabra Embury I'm actually living in LA now, so I saw Bret read at a book festival at UCLA where I had Rules of Attraction signed; he's funny during interviews--he doesn't suffer fools for a second. Then I got my copy of Imperial Bedrooms at his book launch party where they had the books lying around as party favors. I heard about the B&N thing. I'm sure he was in top form. I think it's his persona I'm interested in more than anything, but I've been meaning to finish Glamorama, so I'll do that next; it's supposed to get better towards the end.