Knucklefish's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Jun 22, 2010

liked it

I should start by saying that I have a blind spot when it comes to Dickens. This book was a monster to read. It took me weeks because I kept procrastinating. I don't mean this as a complete insult to Dickens. I find his style fairly readable. It's just that it's so long. And what's the aversion to paragraphs?

I think one of the main problems I had is that parts of the book have not aged well. There are several chapters in which I could tell Dickens was satirizing the excesses of the ruling class, but I didn't quite get the joke. The humor was no longer relevant.

However, a great deal of the book focuses on human nature. That part still felt spot-on. Dickens does make the reader understand how the French peasants could be driven to such a bloody revelution.

The personal story within the sweeping history lesson is enough to keep plugging away at the book. Of course, it's always interesting to see the female character that a man of that era would consider worth dying for. Not exactly a modern heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.