The Flooze's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans

Preacher, Volume 3 by Garth Ennis

Jun 22, 2010

bookshelves: graphic_novel, urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2010

Proud Americans is the third installment of the Preacher series and it’s just as ballsy as those that came before. I think this one might have the highest body count so far--for this series, that’s really saying something.

There are a lot of running themes throughout Preacher, apart from religious hypocrisy. Coincidental meetings is a notable one, and Proud Americans begins with a doozie. While waiting for his flight, Jesse throws back a few at the airport bar only to find himself sitting next to his father’s war buddy, Space. What follows is an intense story of Vietnam soldiers, the friends they made, the horrors they saw, and the vengeance they wrought. It’s a nice reminder not only of friendship and loyalty, but also reflects Jesse’s life as it is now--having to do “crazy shit to survive” and realizing when push comes to shove who you are at the core and who you can rely on.

There’s a fair bit of foreshadowing at work, too, since Jesse is on his way to rescue his own friend from the clutches of The Grail. Along the way, we learn a lot more about that clandestine organization and Herr Starr’s place in it. The plot moves along swiftly, giving us new tidbits of the mystery but never in such a way that it spoils itself. The way it’s all unfolding is confusing, but in a good way. Apart from the idea that Jesse will more than likely survive, I’m never entirely sure what’s going to happen next. That aspect keeps me coming back for more.

Since this one started with recollections of war and significant friendships, it’s only appropriate that it end on the same note. Standing at the top of the Empire State building, Cassidy shares with Jesse his own story: how he was turned, the family he left behind, the friends he made in the new world. The moral of his tale is to make the most of the life you’re given, and not to take it for granted if you find a friend who is willing to stand by you no matter what. It’s a hopeful way to wrap things up. I’ve no doubt that Jesse and co. will face more murder and mayhem, but being able to rely on each other should make the hard road ahead a little easier to bear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 3.

June 22, 2010 – Started Reading