Aestas Book Blog's Reviews > Nocte

Nocte by Courtney Cole

bookshelves: book-1-of-my-fav-series, favorites

::: FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ::: SPOILER-FREE :::

Woah. I could not put this book down!! It hooked me from the first few paragraphs, kept me flipping pages like crazy right through to the end… and now I’m desperate for the next one!! If you’re looking for something totally unique, thrilling, and mysterious, but at the same time romantic and sexy, that’ll keep you guessing until the very last page, then you have to try this book. Just dive in and let the story happen!!

SAVE ME AND I'LL SAVE YOU...

My name is Calla Price. I’m eighteen years old, and I’m one half of a whole. My other half -- my twin brother, my Finn -- is crazy.

I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I’m terrified he’ll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me.

I’m doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I’m drowning more and more each day. So I reach out for a lifeline.

Dare DuBray.

He’s my savior and my anti-Christ. His arms are where I feel safe, where I’m afraid, where I belong, where I’m lost. He will heal me, break me, love me and hate me.

He has the power to destroy me.

Maybe that’s ok. Because I can’t seem to save Finn and love Dare without everyone getting hurt.

Why? Because of a secret.

A secret I’m so busy trying to figure out, that I never see it coming.

You won’t either.

My honest opinion is that it’s best to go into this book completely blind. As in literally, don’t try to find out anything about the plot. The thrill of it is in the discovery along the way. But, in order to reassure those of you who have questions, I’m going to tell you everything you need to know (without spoilers) here. But remember that, just like the book says, some things are better kept secret until the right time…

I will tell you a little though. Just to give you an idea of what you’re getting into.

First, this is a contemporary , modern day, real world, story. It is not paranormal, fantastical, dystopian, or anything else. It takes places in a normal town with normal people (well, there's a bit of crazy to be sure, but still... real). It’s the plot of the story, the way it is told, and what happens that brings it it’s originality.

Also, it’s a story that makes you wonder, keeps you guessing and second guessing, it teases your mind, but you’re not going to be traumatized by anything you read. It’s more that it makes you question everything. It’s a little dark, but not gruesome in any way. I’d consider it a completely “safe” read.

For those of you who like to know the twist in advance, you guys know how I often give that option in reviews whenever I think it would help, but I’m not going to here because just trust me that this this one is better to just discover as you go. I wouldn’t tell you that unless I really meant it. I promise it’s nothing creepy or twisted or disturbing. I loved the way it all came together and I loved how my mind was going a thousand miles a minute trying to fit all these pieces together in a way that made sense.

“There is nothing quite so terrifying as the descension of the human mind into insanity.”

The writing was amazing! It created this atmosphere, or vibe, of mystery that set the most thrilling tone for the story. I could see the story unfolding in front of me quite vividly — like a movie in my mind. The characters and story just came alive as I read.

The reason I haven’t said anything about the plot here is that it’s one of those books where anything I tell you will actually be misleading because…. well… um… you’ll understand why once you’ve read the book. I don’t want to create an expectation in your mind of something it’s not. Just open yourself to the idea of anything and let the story show you its secrets as you read.

Oh and yes, this is absolutely a romance. I fell in love with Dare and I have no doubt that you will too! He’s this sexy, mysterious guy and… you’ll swoon!

“You’re going to be the death of me,” he says against my neck, his lips brushing my skin.
“Why?” I manage to breathe…
“Because you’re so much better than I deserve.”

The blurb was right though. I was wrong. I did guess part of the secret but not all of it. I didn’t see it all coming and now I desperately am looking forward to the next book. I need it yesterday!!

The cliffhanger leaves you desperate for more but also gives you a certain sense of resolution. The main mystery that was woven throughout this book is resolved by the end and we are given a full explanation… but in the last few pages, another question is brought up that will be answered in the next book. So you do get answers. But you also discover more questions (that you’ll desperately want new answers to).

“Don’t ask, because I can’t tell you right now. Everyone has secrets, Calla, even me.”

This book is alluring, captivating, thrilling, romantic, sexy, mysterious, and more. Life, death, love, family, reality, insanity, all these aspects draw you in with their secrets and keep you entranced until the end. I read it in one sitting, could not put it down and absolutely loved it!!

Rating: 4.5 stars. First book of a trilogy.

Contemporary New Adult psychological romantic suspense (NOT paranormal)
_______________________________________

For more of my reviews, book news and updates:
Main blog: Aestas Book Blog
Facebook Blog Page
Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nocte.

October 18, 2014 – Shelved
October 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
November 3, 2014 –
2.0% " "There is nothing quite so terrifying as the descension of the human mind into insanity." "
November 3, 2014 –
10.0% " "He's got a million contradictions in his eyes… aloofness, warmth, mystery, charm, and something else I can't define." "
November 3, 2014 –
16.0% " "You don't like talking about yourself."\n He grins. "It's my least favourite subject." "
November 3, 2014 –
26.0% " "You're going to be the death of me," he says against my ned, his lips brushing my skin.\n "Why?" I manage to breathe, my hands splayed against his chest. He smells like the woods.\n "Because you're so much better than I deserve." "
November 3, 2014 –
30.0% " "Sometimes the truth is deceptive… sometimes, the truth is so crazy that it doesn't seem true." "
November 3, 2014 –
60.0% " "Don't ask, because I can't tell you right now. Everyone has secrets, Calla, even me." "
November 3, 2014 –
99.0% " I. Need. The. Next. Book.... NOW."
November 3, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 4, 2014 – Shelved as: book-1-of-my-fav-series
November 4, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla this is one of the most intriguing and mysterious blurbs ever!! I've read two books from this author and I have enjoyed her books and this one sounds different and dark....I'm adding it but I'm nervous I don't know it seems like one of those books that are going to just rip you apart.......

Imane Ouadi Be reading it very soon

Kathryn I loooooved this book!!!

Jackie White loved it, too. figured the secret out early, but still fabulous!!

Aestas Book Blog Jackie wrote: "loved it, too. figured the secret out early, but still fabulous!!"

I think I know what it is too!

Jackie White I was about 60% in and thought NO WAY!

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda this looks like my kind of book. A must need!

message 8: by AJ (new) - added it

AJ Great review, Aestas! Definiting adding this one... to read once book two is released (I'm such a whimp!)

Aestas Book Blog AJ wrote: "Great review, Aestas! Definiting adding this one... to read once book two is released (I'm such a whimp!)"

hahaha I totally get that ;)

Aestas Book Blog Jackie wrote: "Wonderful review! Excited to read this!:)"

Thanks, Jackie!!! I hope you love it :)

Latisha Johnston Great review!!! Starting this one soon!!!

Aestas Book Blog Latisha wrote: "Great review!!! Starting this one soon!!!"

Thank you!! Happy reading :)

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Great book and review.

Aestas Book Blog Tina wrote: "Great book and review."

Thank you!!

message 15: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Jamie I cant wait to read it!!

Lise *friends don't flag* Great review, this one is still on my mind!

Aestas Book Blog Thanks, Lise!! <3

Renate This book was incredible!! Read it yesterday because I saw your review..I still can't shake it.. I have been looking to read a book like this for so long..Im afraid I wont like anything after this :P

Aestas Book Blog Renate wrote: "This book was incredible!! Read it yesterday because I saw your review..I still can't shake it.. I have been looking to read a book like this for so long..Im afraid I wont like anything after this :P"

So glad you loved it!!!

Lovely This review is perfect. I couldn't have say it better than myself. When I came across this book I was a little iffy. This book is defiantly unquie, having you question everything! and trying to put the pieces together. I'm super excited for the 2nd book!!

Joëlle Great review! This is the 5th one I read on this book and I'll make this my next read ...