Allan Walsh's Reviews > Best Served Cold

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

bookshelves: fantasy, grimdark

Book Review – Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie is ultimately a story of revenge. Monzcarro Murcatto is betrayed by the man she has spent years elevating to a position of power. Strangled, stabbed, beaten and thrown down a mountain side clinging to life by a thread. All those involved will come to wish they had done the job right.

The Bad Stuff: Not for the faint hearted, there is blood, gore and treachery. A bad point if you don’t like these things.

The Good Stuff: There is blood, gore and treachery - and so much of it. Abercrombie’s style is so raw, so tough, so gritty, that for me it’s like a fine blue cheese – filled with everything rotten, but tastes so good and leaves you wanting more. The characters, as always, are so mean and so bad arse, yet so well developed that you can’t help but love them. If you’ve read Joe’s other books, there’s reference to characters like 'The Bloody Nine', ‘The Cripple’ and others, that make the memories come rushing back and have you thinking “Oh yeah, I remember that” or “Yep, that sounds like something they would say/do,”. I loved this book as much as his others and even though it follows the story of new and less explored characters, they became my new best friends.
Wow! How does Joe do it? How does he make you love such despicable characters? Set in the same world as the First Law Trilogy and continues the story of some of the characters I have come to love, building on their story, giving insights into how they became who they are.
This one gets a bone crunching, skull smashing 5 out of 5 golden bookmarks with a splash of blood for good measure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best Served Cold.

October 18, 2014 – Shelved
September 13, 2016 –
September 22, 2016 –
October 13, 2016 –
November 6, 2016 –
65.0% "I've had to put this book on hold while I meet a commitment I've made to review some other books. I so want to finish reading it though. I miss you Monza!"
November 8, 2016 –
77.0% "I just can't ignore Monza and Shivers any longer, I had to get reacquainted, just for an hour or 2. And so glad I did, I'm absolutely loving this story!"
November 16, 2016 –
87.0% "*sniff* Sadly it looks like I'm coming to the end of my journey with Monza and Shivers. Can it be... I really don't want this book to end :("
November 22, 2016 – Finished Reading