Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)'s Reviews > One Summer

One Summer by Karen Robards

2082345
I loved this book, despite its perfectly corny ending. (I kind of like corny endings, though, so I was pleased).

First of all, the beginning was great. It really hooked me in and made me want to keep reading, plus it was laced with my kind of humor. We really dive straight into the story without getting huge info-drops or long-winded background stories.

I ADORE Rachel. She is one of my favorite heroines. The way she stood up for Johnny made me want to give her a hug. She was strong, but also kind and loving and affectionate. And don't get me started on Johnny. Could he be any sexier? And on top of that, he's a really great guy who truly loves Rachel with all his heart. He's also really good with kids, which is something I always like in a guy. Plus, while he was all macho and everything, he was still vulnerable and actually showed his emotions, which is something I don't see much in romance novels.

I remember one scene where Rachel said Johnny wouldn't like her anymore if she were fat, and he said he still would and that, in fact, she'd be cute fat, like a little "dumpling," I think he said. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought that was soo sweet!

As for the murderer...I figured out who it was pretty early on, but I was never CERTAIN who it was, so it wasn't too disheartening.

The only other character I really liked was Glenda, one of Johnny's old friends. She was really kind and caring and a great mother. Rachel's mother and sister weren't exactly well developed, but they were still interesting all the same.

I also really liked how Rachel defended herself against the killer, managing to escape on her own (she's no damsel in distress, thank God, I'm getting tired of that theme).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Summer.

Finished Reading
August 8, 2010 – Shelved as: karen-robards
August 9, 2010 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense
December 3, 2010 – Shelved as: cfmf
January 22, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany 'in fact, she'd be cute fat, like a little "dumpling," because of that part of your review I'm marking this as to-read, that made me laugh lol

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) haha! definitely my favorite part of the book :)

Chris L. i agree! The ending is certainly too good to be true, but i loved this book.