C.G. Drews's Reviews > Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2016, epic-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, reread, read-2019
Read 2 times. Last read March 8, 2019 to April 4, 2019.

Read 2 | March 2019

so my chief thought going into this reread was: maybe if I reread it the ending will be different? And I'm here to say the tYPO of that ending with That Character still remains and i am a mess. Also I actually remembered so so little of this, so the reread was basically like reading something fresh. I missed my dregs. I loved getting wrapped in the harsh details, the wanting, the found-family, the hope and betrayal and wickedly clever schemes. Kaz's schemes within schemesw were incredible. (Which makes me even more in awe of Leigh Barudgo. She is a clever goddess and we are here to be awed and also suffer in her presence.)

Also the audiobook...the ending...look don't read emotional books with audio narrators who are going to get chocked up. It's nOT FAIR 😭😭 I'm a stone cold statute, don't make me ruin my book street cred by getting emotional.

(fyi this book is bloody brilliant)

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | Sept 2016

HOW DO I EVEN ACCURATELY REVIEW THIS MASTERPIECE??? I don't know. What are words. What is air. WHAT IS TYPING AFJDSKALFDAJSKDLJD. Okay okay, I will calm myself and wrote some (semi)coherent thoughts but basically all you need to know is this book is a magnificent villainous piece of genius that I love so so so so much. Hence the "WHAT IS AIR" question because fjakldfsad if I fangirl anymore I will lose my miiiiiiind.

(Just kidding hhaha. I lost my mind YEARS AGO.)

Also this review will not contain spoilers so don't go having a heartattack just looking at it. I mean there will be spoilers but ALL IN HIDDEN TAGS. But it WILL possibly contain spoilers for Six of Crows. Just mild, unavoidable ones. But I'll do my best.

WHERE EVEN TO START, OMG?!!? So the story picks up a week later after book 1. And it's VERY heavy on the complex plot. Which I really truly did enjoy, even though I got befuddled a bit towards the middle with plans collapsing and being remade all the time. But the finale was freaking brilliant plot-wise, so who's complaining? Not I. And I 1000% intended to re-read this via audio, because my SoC reread with audio was life. And I always understand the twists of the heists better on audios. ANYWAY. The heist is very very different to book 1. BUT STILL GOOD. We stay in Ketterdam (yaaas) and it gets a bit political with Kaz intending to bring down Van Eck's kingdom and reputation as well. So less lock-picking. More mind games.

And the characters?!? My precious darlings were perfect in every way. Kaz is downright vicious in this one and if you thought he was a cold dark melon in book one...hahhaahah. HE GETS MEANER. #BlessHim And Nina + Matthias = my heart is just melting into gloop they are so cute and adorable. Jesper had a lot of character development which was glorious. And Wylan gets his on POV!! Which leads me to conclude that: Wylan is adorable and must be protected at all costs. Inej remains my least favourite. The "holier than thou" attitude just riles me so the wrong way. Don't get me wrong! I still like her. But I really felt disinterested in her story line because she never grows because she's always spouting holy Suli proverbs and being better than everyone else. I just always fall harder for characters who have better development. Kaz, Wylan, and Jesper all WIN for the development here.

AND THE SHIPS!?!? THE SHIIIIIPS?!? Omg. O.M.G. You will laugh, cry, shriek, and probably melt. Just FYI. Have fun with this.

I actually didn't even mind that it was 500 pages! Usually big books scare me witless. But this time, I thought it needed EVERYTHING. or I am just obsessed. Hahahah. Why would you think that???

Also feels. THERE WILL BE FEELS. Which is glorious! Because it managed to mix in the funny-hilarious-black-comedy feels in with the plot-twist-omg-omg-omg feels. I forgot to breathe several times, but who even needs air? Eh. Optional. But least to say: this book did stab me several times and I looooove it for doing that. It's just as dark as book one and that be glorious.

Also a moment for the sheer amount of food appreciation here?!? Bless Nina Zenik who is my soul sister with her love for food. And there are so many WAFFLES. This book is literally built on Kaz's evil scheming face + waffles.

Okaaay but there were a few things I'm not a huge fan of. Like they're just tiny things and obviously didn't stop me from (A) rating this book ALL THE STARS, and (B) putting it on my "best of the year" shelf so afjdkslafd cAN YOU NOTICE HOW MUCH I LOVED IT YAS?
Anyway. Negatives.
One of the biggest plot points seemed too easy. (view spoiler)
I thought Kuwei would have a bigger part? I mean, he had a big part in the PLOT obviously. But not as a character.
It took me a few hundred pages to get INTO it. Like I was enjoying it, but severely worried it'd only be 4-stars. I wish it'd pressed more exciting stuff into the beginning.
I'm really angry at how LITTLE of Kaz's POV we got. We don't even get his first chapter till 100+ pages in! WUT IS THIS. I love Kaz and I wanted more of his dark little twisted mind.

...now onwards. Because it's SPOILER CHAT SECTION TIME WOOOO.

SPOILER SECTION:

About the ships:

About the finale:

About cameos:
(view spoiler)

TO CONCLUDE: was this book perfect OR WAS IT PERFECT. (It was perfect.) I'm so so happy it didn't disappoint! I'm so so SO SAD it's over. I could read eternal books about my precious little sociopath Kaz Brekker. <3 He reamins one of my TOP favourite antihero/protagonists of all time andf asdjfkalda I love him so much it's probably a problem BUT I DON'T CARE. I'm really happy my feels got totally wrung around the universe and that I laughed out loud and nearly cried. I mean BOTH emotions?!? My Vulcan heart doesn't know what to do with itself. I had super high expectations and they were firmly met. Also I want more Grishaverse books. Neeeeeeed.

OKAY WHAT I REALLY WANT IS MORE KAZ BREKKER. PLEASE.

I'M OVER HERE STILL FANGIRLING PSYCHOTICALLY IF YOU NEED ME.

[distant shrieking]

*** QUOTES ***

"I would prefer to go to Ravka," he repeated more firmly. Kaz's flat black gaze fastened on Kuwei and held. Kuewei squirmed nervously. "Why is he looking at me this way?"
"Kaz is wondering if he should keep you alive," said Jesper. "Terrible for the nerves. I recommend deep breathing. Maybe a tonic."

Jesper tapped his fingers restlessly on his thighs. "Has anyone noticed this whole city is looking for us, mad at us, or wants to kill us?"
"So?" said Kaz.
"Well, usually it's just half the city."

Nina's eyes narrowed. "I don't remember saying you could give away my biscuits."
"It's for a good cause," Matthias said, retrieving the tin. "Besides, you've barely touched them."
"I'm saving them for later," said Nina with a sniff. "And you should not cross me when it comes to sweets."
Jesper nodded. "She's like a dessert-hoarding dragon."

"Where do you think the money went?" he repeated.
"Guns?" asked Jesper.
"Ships?" queried Inej.
"Bombs?" suggested Wylan.
"Political bribes?" offered Nina. They all looked at Matthias. "This is where you tell us how awful we are," she whispered.

"Isn't that how things are done around here?" asked Wylan. "We all tell Kaz we're fine and then do something stupid?"
"Are we that predictable?" said Inej.
Wylan and Matthias said in unison. "Yes."

"So I'm asking, do you want to beat Van Eck?"
"Yes," said Inej. She wanted some kind of justice.
"Soundly," said Nina.
"Around the ears with Wylan's flue," said Jesper.

"One one condition," said Nina, arms crossed.
"This is not a negotiation."
"Everything is a negotiation with you, Brekker. You probably bartered your way out of the womb."

"I would come for you," he said, and when he saw the wary look she shot him, he said it again. "I would come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we are, we'd fight our way out together -- knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting."

"You're very welcome, Nina Zenik. You may repay me in the customary way."
"Waffles?"
"Lots of them."

"Let's go, you big goon -- and I'm supposed to be your sister, stop looking at me like that."
"Like what?"
"Like I'm made of ice cream."
"I don't care for ice cream."
"Matthias," Nina said, "I'm not sure we can continue to spend time together."

"You approach from the canal. Jesper, you're tall, brown, and conspicuous --"
"All synonyms for delightful."
"And that means you'll have to be twice as careful."
"There's always a price to pay for greatness."
"Try to take this seriously," said Kaz.

[Jesper] But how the hell did you apologise for that? Sorry I almost got you stabbed to death. Who wants waffles?

She folded one of the waffles in half and took a huge bite, wiggling her toes in bliss.
"I'm sorry, Matthias," she said with her mouth full. "I've decided to run off with Jesper's father. He keeps me in the deliciousness to which I have become accustomed."

She rested her head on his shoulder. "You're better than waffles, Matthias Helvar."
A small smile curled the Fjerdan's lips. "Let's not say things we don't mean, my love."

Inej cocked her head to one side. "Jesper Llewellyn Fahey?"
"Shut up," said Jesper. "It's a family name."
Inej made a solemn bow. "Whatever you say, Llewellyn."
"Kaz?" Jesper said tentatively.
But Kaz was staring into the middle distance. Wylan thought he knew that look
"Is that --?" asked Wylan.
"Scheming face?" said jesper.
Matthias nodded. "Definitely."

HELLO. I DEFINITELY WANT TO CHAT WITH YOU ABOUT THIS BOOK BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PUT YOUR COMMENTS IN SPOILER TAGS IF YOU'RE MENTIONING ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY SPOILERY. IF IN DOUBT: PLEASE PUT IT IN A TAG. I DON'T WANT MY REVIEW TO BE THE REASON SOMEONE GETS SPOILED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Kingdom.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“You’re stupid about a lot of things, Wylan, but you are not stupid. And if I ever hear you call yourself a moron again, I’m going to tell Matthias you tried to kiss Nina. With tongue."
Wylan wiped his nose on his sleeve. “He’ll never believe it."
"Then I’ll tell Nina you tried to kiss Matthias. With tongue.”
Leigh Bardugo, Crooked Kingdom

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper couldn’t quite believe he was having a conversation with the Sturmhond. The privateer was a legend. He’d broken countless blockades on behalf of the Ravkans and there were rumors that… “Do you really have a flying ship? blurted Jesper.
“No.”

October 18, 2014 – Shelved
October 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2016 – Started Reading
page 100
18.66% "I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS I CANNOT EVEN. afdjsakldjakld MY PRECIOUS THIEVING DARLINGS.\nAnd no, I will not be updating spoilers. I AM NOT A MONSTER."
page 244
45.52% "Nina: "You should not cross me when it comes to sweets."\nJesper: "She's like a dessert-hoarding dragon."\n\nWHEREIN NINA IS LITERALLY MY HERO."
page 336
62.69% "I CAN'T BREATH. BUT THAT'S OKAY. WHO NEEDS AIR."
September 28, 2016 –
page 400
74.63% ""Sorry I about got you stabbed to death. Who wants waffles?" -- a brief summary of this book"
September 28, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 8, 2019 – Started Reading
March 8, 2019 –
page 25
4.66% "Goodreads: you've read this one. you gave it 5 stars
Me: [cracking it open to reread]
Me: did i
Me: are we...sure?"
March 9, 2019 –
page 50
9.33% "kaz is a wicked little criminal but I will say this: he never views his team's disabilities as hindrances. ever. and i love this???

- he doesn't view walking with a cane as a failing, he just finds another way to do what he needs to do
- he doesn't sneer at [name redacted's] dyslexia, kaz just leaves more time so he can cover for it
- he's mad at Jesper for a lot of things, but not his adhd"
March 13, 2019 –
page 134
25.0% "shout out to that soft moment of understanding between Kaz and Alice (Van Eck's wife) where they both confirmed they do not want to marry a prince.

(which made me think of Nikolai and Kaz together and how badly that would go lmao i'm wheezing)"
March 18, 2019 –
page 198
36.94% "Nina explaining Ravkan erotica theatre to Matthias while he is just aghast is honestly one of the best scenes in this book.

Nina: they go into a cave...
Matthias: and they become warrior allies?
Nina:
Nina:
Nina: no sweetie"
March 21, 2019 –
page 225
41.98% "I'm getting so shocked by these plot twists wow look at this book go!!!! yes this is the second time I've read it!!!! or did I even read it the first time!!!! got to admit, seems like I did not!!!!!"
March 26, 2019 –
page 300
55.97% "the fact that the sentence "...and Kaz and Wylan were leaping over a fallen ham and sprinting..." exists in this book brings me great pleasure.

sprinting away from hams. as you do."
March 27, 2019 –
page 430
80.22% "things i am just here to appreciate

- kaz taking a nap then being mad bc he can't micromanaging everyone while he's unconscious
- Jesper's dad just being a Disappointed Dad to them all
- the sheer amount of gay kids here look at them go
- wylan being "i'm not a criminal" in book 1 vs wylan totally being kaz's #1 student in book 2
- Nina and her waffles"
April 4, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 5, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
April 5, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses) Yes!! Happy you loved this, I need to start reading it asap

mica YOU ALREADY FINISHED IT H O O O W. So jelous of your reading abilities

C.G. Drews @Isabelleam90: It is so so SO SO GOOD.

@Mica: It took me 2 days, c'mon! Not that fast. XD

message 4: by Cloe (new) - added it

Cloe AAH Crooked Kingdom! Awesome, I can't wait to read it! :)

Madeline McGrath I am NOT prepared to read this at all!!!

Cheska Love your review!! Now I can't wait to read Crooked Kingdom too! But one question though, is there any major Grisha Trilogy spoilers in Crooked Kingdom? I'm planning to read it before Shadow and Bone just because I cannot wait any longer (hehe) and I just want to know if Crooked Kingdom will spoil the whole series for me? :/

C.G. Drews @Cheska: Ohhh, okay that's a good question. XD Not that I can think of? There is one tiny spoiler about one character's identity, but he only makes a tiny cameo. But in bk 2 of the Grisha trilogy his identity is a plot-twist-reveal? But like I don't think it's a HUGE thing. But that's all I can think of! So it's mostly fine!

Cheska Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Cheska: Ohhh, okay that's a good question. XD Not that I can think of? There is one tiny spoiler about one character's identity, but he only makes a tiny cameo. But in bk 2 of the Grisha trilogy h..."

Ohh that's good then!! Thank you so much! :)

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Whitehouse Man, I forgot to pre-order this. Luckily Amazon Prime will have it here tomorrow.

Rê I'm dying a slow death... I need this book in my life RIGHT NOW!

Debbie I have just finished Six of Crows and have ordered the whole Grisha Trilogy. I have to buy this soon! Glad you loved it so much.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Hiiiii, peoples. This review is meant to be spoiler free! :) Can Teo and Kathryn put their comments in spoiler tags please? THANKYOU!

message 13: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe YES YES YES I AM SO GLAD THIS IS AS GOOD AS SIX OF CROWS. *sigh of relief*

George Jankovic Great review Cait! Masterpiece is the right word. I'm loving it!

Michelle (view spoiler)

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Michelle: I am emphatically with you! (view spoiler)

Meghan Powers MY ORDER JUST CAME IN TONIGHT IM SO EXCITED ASDFGHJKL THOSE QUOTES GAVE ME LIFE I JUST WANT TO BE IN KETTERDAM FOREVER

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Meg: YOU ARE IN FOR A GLORIOUS TIME. HAVE FUN WITH ALL THE FEELS.

message 19: by Stas (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stas OMG I totally hate you. Now I HAVE to read this.
(btw I adore your reviews, you are delightfully crazy - in the most wondrous sense of the word)

Deborah O'Carroll SO I HAVEN'T READ YOUR REVIEW YET BECAUSE I WANT TO READ THE BOOK FIRST EVEN THOUGH I SAW YOU DON'T HAVE SPOILERS BUT ALSKDJFLKSDJFJ I'M SOOOOOO GLAD THAT YOU LOVED IT -- THAT MAKES MY DAY BECAUSE I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU WERE LOOKING FORWARD TO IT AND I SO WANTED YOU TO LIKE IT -- AND THIS MAKES ME JUST WANT TO READ IT EVEN MOAAAAR!!! *flailing* WHAT IS AIR LKSJDLFKJSD.

Samantha "Saints," Nina said sourly. "How bad is it?"
Inej cleared her throat."You look a bit..."
"Enchanting," said Matthias.
Nina was about to snap that she didn't appreciate the sarcasm when she saw the expression on his face. He looked like someone had just given him a tuba full of puppies."

Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures I am not okay about a certain someone! I just finished it and I just caantt

Stephanie ALL THE FEELS FOR THIS BOOK!! I just finished it and oh...I LOVED IT!! So great...and all the feels....and I want to reread it immediately

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Stephanie: YES THAT WAS MY REACTION TOO. I want to re-read everything afjdksaldsjakd

Evangeline I CANNOT TAKE THE WAITING. I WILL ONE DAY GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK (stupid library), BUT UNTIL THEN, I WILL BE WHINING ABOUT IT TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN. Also, this review made me laugh out loud multiple times because #1 you are the Review Goddess of Whit and Wisdom (yes that is now your official title; we're promoting you. You are welcome. No, it does not come with a raise), and #2 IT'S ABOUT MA BABIES WHOM I ADORE. #3 Nina's food obsession is what gives me life. Could it get any better?

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Evangeline: I ACCEPT THAT TITLE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. (I think we should talk about the raise though??? Because seriously now.) But omgggg I hope you get to read it soon BECAUSE IT IS GLORIOUSNESS AND WHO IS THAT MELTED PUDDLE OF EMOTIONS OVER THERE? OH. OH THAT'S ME.

Amanda AHHHH YESSS that ending. I was honestly surprised (and extremely pleased!) it was so happy. And about Inej and Kaz... (view spoiler)

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amanda: OH YES YES (view spoiler)

message 29: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy ok i just finished this and i basically dont even want to review it because YOUR REVIEW SAID IT ALL!!!! this was such a perfect book im so sad its over i cant deal w this

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Izzy: *pats shoulder* THERE THERE. I AM A MESS TOO THO. Why aren't there more books. ;_; I need moooooore.

Ainsley Dobson I just finished this and I'm crying and I want someone who I can talk about it with and cry with it because it WAS JUST AMAZING BUT NOW IM ALL BROKEN INSIDE.

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ainsley: I'M BROKEN INSIDE TOO. 3 THERE IS NO RECOVERING PROBABLY UNLESS LEIGH BARDGO FIXES THAT "TYPO" AT THE END (view spoiler) THEN WE'LL BE OKAY.

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Omg, your review was highly entertaining to read with all the fangirling and bold facing smattered throughout. Love it. And yes, we needed more Kaz!!! Love me some Dirtyhands!

Deborah O'Carroll Caiiiiit, guess who's reading Crooked Kingdom!!! :D (During NaNo, but shush. *coughcough*

message 35: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Deborah; AYYHHHHH YAYYYYYAY!! KEEP ME UPDATED ON YOUR FLAILING?!?

Shreya Sinha (aka Divyanjali Sinha) You're so damn right!!

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Great review Cait. This should have won Goodreads choice awards in the YA instead of ACOMAF, because ACOMAF Isn't Young adult at all. It is EROTICA.

message 38: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Veronica: Forever bitter that ACOMAF won....omg. I cannot even. It's not YA and that series never was.

Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ I'm angry it was considered YA too lol. It's definitely not. This book deserved the 1st place.

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ YES YES YES IT DESERVES ALL THE AWARDS

message 41: by tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

tara Kaz.... that is all!

Ceridwenn You're so right about Wylan and Jesper I was thinking the same! i loved how natural it was, it should always be like that

Olivia Salioh I have this strong sensation of wanting to be ur best friend. U literally captured all my feelings and exactly how i would say them in ur review i love you and thank you for letting me know im not the only one with a slight infatuation with Kaz (i need help too)

message 44: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Olivia wrote: "I have this strong sensation of wanting to be ur best friend. U literally captured all my feelings and exactly how i would say them in ur review i love you and thank you for letting me know im not ..."

We're in this together, Olivia 🙌🏻