C.G. Drews's Reviews > Vanishing Girls

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2015, young-adult

This has got to be my favourite Lauren Oliver book EVER! I've read Panic and Rooms and enjoyed the latter a lot, but loathed the first. So I was a bit nervous about starting Vanishing Girls. BUT IT WAS PERFECT. It had everything I love about Lauren Oliver's incredible writing, plus a huge sister/family angle and a gut wrenching ending that left me hiccuping in the corner.

Like Nick, I have a little sister. So this particularly struck home with me. But even if you don't have a sister, pshht, don't worry. The entire story will swallow you.

It's very heavy on delicious writing and amazing word-pictures. The author is genius at carving a visual with only a few words. Give me a second, I'M IN LOVE WITH THE WRITING. It's a little on the wordy side, but I didn't skim. I actually, um, couldn't put it down. I know! Usually I'm very conscious of the clock/pages as I read, but this just swallowed me and I read way past my bedtime. #bookwormproblems

I did struggle to figure out where the plot was going. It's all very there-was-a-car-accident-but-we-will-pretend-it's-okay-and-just-do-our-summer-jobs-and-try-not-to-rekindle-old-romances. It's told in split POV by Nick (Nicole) and Dara (the younger sister). Dara is wild and messy and violently alive. Nick is perfect and put-together. They love each other fiercely until -- A BOY. (Dang boys. They're so much trouble.) And then a car accident that leaves Dara scarred and Nick a mess.

The sisters relationship is basically fire and ice. They used to be as close as anything, but Dara takes stupid risks and basically steals Nick's best-friend, Parker, just for the sake of having something of her sister's. There's rivalry. There's bitterness. Each sister thinks the other is more perfect, more fun, more loved. They'd kill each other, but they'd kill for each other first. It captures what it is to be a sister so so so well.

OH YES. Let's talking about the vanishing parts, shall we? Although I have to admit, it's interesting that this book got away with being called "Vanishing Girls". Because Gone Girl was already taken?? COME ON! Gone Girl is so famous! *ahem* But Vanishing Girls doesn't have a similar plot line at all, so don't chuck a mickey. The plot really picks up about 50% through (which kind of bothers me) and the ending takes a dive in a direction I DID NOT SEE COMING. It deals with a sensitive issue of (view spoiler) although the book doesn't go into nitty-gritty details. But it's definitely disturbing. And then there's the 9-year-old little girl who's missing and questions just start tumbling out and I was so so worried. GAH. Emotions! DARN EMOTIONS. I couldn't read fast enough.

But the eeeending. This has the kind of ending that literally had me sit up and say "NO. NO NO. REALLY?!" and then kind of smile because it's perfect and then sob because it's awful.

Basically GO READ IT. GO READ IT NOW. I love this book in all it's sisterly messiness. I loved the characters and I loved the writing and I love/hated the ending. I'm still in shock. If you need me, I'm the person sitting like a stonefish in the corner.
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing Girls.

October 17, 2014 – Shelved
October 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 24, 2015 – Started Reading
February 25, 2015 –
page 187
52.38% "ohhh THAT'S messed up."
February 25, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 25, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 25, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
February 25, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Kiran Jabeen Read 'Before I Fall'... That's my most fav book by Lauren Oliver :) Looking forward to read Vanishing GIrls too!

C.G. Drews Oh oh I want to read that one next! I FEEL LIKE I WILL LOVE IT.

Kiran Jabeen Cait Grace wrote: "Oh oh I want to read that one next! I FEEL LIKE I WILL LOVE IT."
Yup, it's amazing! Read at least 2 chapters (it has 7) before making any decisions... The story becomes fantastic as it proceeds!

message 4: by Shanti (new) - added it

Shanti I really lked delerium, enjoyed Panic and dnf'd Before I FAll. I'll try this one if I get my hands on it