Carol [Goodreads Addict]'s Reviews > Cipher

Cipher by Aileen Erin

bookshelves: paranormal-fantasy, young-adult

Cipher is book one is the brand new Shadow Ravens series by Aileen Erin. I just have to say WOW, just WOW!!! What a fantastic start to a new series. I instantly fell in love with the two main characters. The book was alternately told from both their points of view so we knew at all times what they were thinking and feeling.

photo electricity_zps9fa8b40f.jpg

Emma’s life was in jeopardy from the moment she was born. She was born with a red helix tattoo. In this society, the color of your helix determines your destiny. Her parents were able to keep her hidden and in control until she was eight years old. It was then that something happened that would change her future forever. Twelve years later she is used to life on the run. She is known as Cipher now, her on line name. She hasn’t used the name Emma in years. The powers that be or Seligo as they are known, want her. There is someone else that wants her, though, but for a different reason.

photo tumblr_nbmestcMoo1rpcl4mo1_500_zps8b3d7any.gif

“Run to Survive. Survive to Live. Live to Love. It was my goal. A distant one, but it was there. My light at the end of the tunnel.”

Hunter Marquez hasn’t seen Emma since she was eight years old. That’s the day she saved his life. He has been searching for her ever since. He is like a double agent. He works for the Seligo but he also works for the Shadow Ravens, a secret group that saves the red helixes from the clutches of the Seligo. But his main goal has always been to find Emma.

photo images_zps18f87067.jpg

“I never was a guy who wanted more than one night, but Emma made me want everything.”

Emma has the unique ability to manipulate electricity. But no matter how hard she tries, she can’t control it. She can kill with one touch. What she doesn’t know is that Hunter has been genetically modified to be her pair, someone that can neutralize her electrical energy. He can teach her to control it. But first he has to find her. Little did either of them know that they had been talking online for years, she as Cipher, and he as Knight.

photo tumblr_n5hiroaifF1saq3w2o1_400_zpswt0mtegc.gif

This book had me on the edge of my seat from page one. I was so relieved when Hunter and Emma finally found each other but that’s when the action really got intense. These two together, were just so sweet. Hunter took Emma to a tropical deserted island for a few days to help her to learn to control her abilities. The few days they had there were magical but of course, their time there was brought to an abrupt end.

“He thought he wanted to help me, but eventually he’d realize I was more trouble than I was worth. Or he’d die trying to save me.”

This book is non-stop, edge of your seat action. But at the same time, there are plenty of sweet moments. There really isn’t a cliff hanger which is a good thing because the next book doesn’t come out for another year. But you are still left with a need to find out what happens next in the battle between the Seligo and the Shadow Ravens.

Thank you so much to Aileen Erin, Ink Monster and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book. I enjoyed every single page of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cipher.

October 17, 2014 – Started Reading
October 17, 2014 – Shelved
October 17, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal-fantasy
October 18, 2014 –
23.0% "Chapter 5\n Wow, I'm really loving this already!!"
October 18, 2014 –
54.0% "Chapter 11\n This is so good!!!"
October 19, 2014 –
82.0% "Chapter 19\n \n OMG, Cipher!"
October 19, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 10, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Great review, Carol!!! Makes me want to pick up this series!! :)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Liz wrote: "Great review, Carol!!! Makes me want to pick up this series!! :)"

Thanks, Liz. I absolutely loved it as I have Aileen's other series as well.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Carol [Goodreads addict] wrote: "Liz wrote: "Great review, Carol!!! Makes me want to pick up this series!! :)"

Thanks, Liz. I absolutely loved it as I have Aileen's other series as well."

Hmmm I think I will pick one of her series up very soon then! ;)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Liz wrote: "Carol [Goodreads addict] wrote: "Liz wrote: "Great review, Carol!!! Makes me want to pick up this series!! :)"

Thanks, Liz. I absolutely loved it as I have Aileen's other series as well."

Hmmm I..."

Oh, I forgot to tell you there is a Goodreads give-a-way going on right now for this book!!!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Great review, Carol! I'm been meaning to try this author for awhile now, but I don't think this book was even on my radar.

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Great review, Carol! I'm been meaning to try this author for awhile now, but I don't think this book was even on my radar."

Thank you so much, Jessica! Yeah, I love her Alpha Girl series and this one is brand new. What a great start! I'm hooked. XO

There is a Goodreads give-a-way going on at the moment!!!

message 8: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Nice review! Quite powerful! :)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Aditi wrote: "Nice review! Quite powerful! :)"

message 10: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Carol [Goodreads addict] wrote: "Aditi wrote: "Nice review! Quite powerful! :)"

Thanks so much, Aditi. It was so good. There is a Goodreads give-a-way going on right now for it if you are interested!! :)"

Surely, I'll try the giveaway! Thank You and it was my pleasure :)

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Lisa wrote: "Fab review, Carol!"

Thank you so much my dear Lisa!!!

message 12: by Ashton Jade (new) - added it

Ashton Jade Gibbs Added to my to-read shelf. :D Sounds exciting!

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Ashton wrote: "Added to my to-read shelf. :D Sounds exciting!"

Thanks, Ashton. I love Aileen Erin's Alpha Girl series so I was so excited to see what the new series would be about and I absolutely loved it.

message 14: by Ashton Jade (new) - added it

Ashton Jade Gibbs Carol [Goodreads addict] wrote: "Thanks, Ashton. I love Aileen Erin's Alpha Girl series so I was so excited to see what the new series would be about and I absolutel..."

I've never read her before but she definitely sounds like an exciting author. :D

Carol [Goodreads Addict] I just saw that this book is FREE right now!!!

Goodreads | Recent Updates:

message 16: by Hayat (new) - added it

Hayat Great review, Carol and thank you for the heads-up on the freebie! You got me really curious and I can't wait to read it. XO

Carol [Goodreads Addict] Hayat wrote: "Great review, Carol and thank you for the heads-up on the freebie! You got me really curious and I can't wait to read it. XO"

Thanks so much, Hayat. I loved this one and book two was really good as well. Good luck. I hope it works for you as well!! <3