David Pennington's Reviews > Play on: Now, Then, and Fleetwood Mac

Play on by Mick Fleetwood

I thought I knew everything about Fleetwood Mac—but I was wrong. I thought this new autobiography might be a re-hash of his earlier one, with a few extras thrown in—but I was wrong.

In “Play On: Now, Then, and Fleetwood Mac,” written with Anthony Bozza, the Mick Fleetwood we meet is the definitive wizened elderly gentleman. He is reflective, focused and self-aware, but it’s not all about him. The love and admiration he has for his bandmates, and many others, exudes forth throughout the book. He acknowledges their past mistakes, their overindulgences, without re-treading the same ground we’ve all read about for the past several decades.

This book offers an intimate glimpse into the personal life of a man in his late sixties who only recently became aware of the consequences of his actions in the past. It is a portrait of a man looking back on his life with honesty. In many ways, as Fleetwood said in an interview, this is the story of his first wife, Jenny. It was through her eyes, through her stories, that Fleetwood was finally able to come to understand their tumultuous marriage and his role in its demise.

Wonderful — but what about Fleetwood Mac, you may ask. Is there really anything left to uncover? I would say yes. Nothing shocking—all the dirty secrets have come out over the years—but what’s new is seeing it all from Fleetwood’s current perspective. He is not a man of regret, at least not when it comes to the band to which he has devoted his life since he was twenty. But devotion isn’t a strong enough word. Mick Fleetwood loves his band with a passion that goes far beyond money or fame. It is his life. Fleetwood Mac is one of his children, and it has fallen ill many times—but Mick Fleetwood has always been there to nurse it back to life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play on.

October 16, 2014 – Shelved