Sue's Reviews > The Burning Girl

The Burning Girl by Lisa Unger

"The Burning Girl" is the second in The Whispers series, taking place ten years after "The Whispers".

Eloise is now a professional psychic and her daughter Amanda and her new family live across the country. Eloise's daughter is married with two children, but has moved away, unable to deal with her mother's visions. Eloise has learned to use her visions when she can, but now she has a vision that she can't get rid of...the Burning Girl. This girl is full of rage and a danger to Eloise...and now her granddaughter is having visions.

In this novella, we are introduced to two new characters, Agatha and Ray.Eloise has a partner, Agatha, her mentor that tries to protect her in the spirit world. Eloise is in business with the local cop Ray, who opened a private investigation business, and uses the help of Eloise to assist with solving the crimes, based on her gift. He also is a regular in her life.

Agatha sparks questions in Eloise, questions of who Eloise received her talents from and now she is curious and starts her genealogical search. What she finds answers her questions, but what she was not prepared for was her granddaughter Finley having the same visions.

This second book in the planned trilogy let me down. It was not as satisfying as the first. Too many questions left unanswered. Maybe that was the point, to deal with these unanswered questions in the last book. I felt the ten years span from the first novella to the second novella, left a gap...I would have liked to have known a little more about what happened between the first book and the second. I feel this information is lacking and would have enriched the story.

I want to thank Netgalley and Simon and Schuster Pocket Books for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Girl.

October 16, 2014 – Shelved
October 16, 2014 – Shelved as: suspense-thriller-mystery
October 23, 2014 – Started Reading
October 24, 2014 –
October 24, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Christine Too bad it was not as good as expected. I am still waiting to hear back from Net Galley on these 2 novellas...

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Oh well. The first one was really good. Maybe it will all get explained in the last book coming out Jan 2015.

message 3: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat I enjoyed the first but sorry to hear the second book is doing the classic "bridge set-up" between the first and last of the trilogy. That happens so often. I haven't heard back from Netgalley either.

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Maybe it was just me Pat. I can only speak for myself.

Christine No, I am sure there must be significant loose ends in order to pull readers back in January. I am not a big fan of that.

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue I have to admit I still prefer reading her full novels, which are excellent...and not so sure about entering this paranormal realm.

message 7: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat I don't mind a paranormal twist to a story. This was my first reading of Lisa Unger and have bought "In the Blood" to try. Sue, I believe your review because it is such a common practice like Christine describes to pull readers into the third installment.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Yes, I remember reading "In The Blood", and knowing how good it was.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue Thanks Jean. Went ahead and put in a request on Netgalley for her new novel, Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger, to be released Feb 2015.