Eva Leger's Reviews > Eva

liked it
bookshelves: b-fiction, thriller, y-a
Recommended to Eva by: library
Read from June 27 to 29, 2010 , read count: once

Eva is so far off the beaten path for me that I'm still surprised I read it. After a librarian aid handed it to me (without knowing my name is Eva) I decided to give it a try because of her thoughts on it.
I started liking the cover more and more as I read into the book. The trees and brush in the background play a solid part because of Eva's yearnings and I love the bit of black hair going down her face also - it makes you think once you're a ways into the book.
I'm not much for long flowery descriptions but here it worked and was needed in a way. It didn't feel like "filler" which is usually what that sort of things feels like for me.
The premise of the story is surely unique, Eva gets in a car accident as a 13 year old girl and because of her parents work and affiliations they were able, while Eva's in a coma, to transplant her brain into a chimp body. No one knew what they could possibly expect and when Eva finally woke up there was a surprise - Eva was no longer just Eva in a chimp's body but Eva and Kelly, the chimp that had her body stolen.
Dickinson meshed the two beautifully in my opinion, it really hit home how it would be to live with two differing sides inside you. Two totally differing sides.
One part I didn't care for was the race distinction nearing the end. I don't have the book handy and I forget the exact wording but when talking about the difference between men and woman and chimps having babies something was said about "a white woman being carried off into the woods". Why the distinction? I know I'm especially sensitive to the subject but really, why? Why not leave it at woman? Is it a horror to have a white woman carried off but not a black woman? Is a black woman not worth mentioning? This really bothered me and I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that one sentence.
Besides this one thing I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did being that it's so different than anything I normally go for. If anyone knows of any books like this I'd love to get the recommendation. It/They would have to be very similiar. I'm looking for sci-fi but like this, realistic sci-fi that I can really get into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eva.

06/28/2010 page 39
17.0% "this is so far away from anything I'd normally read but a libarian recommended it to me and I thought it ironic that the title is my name so I'm giving it a shot...."
06/28/2010 page 87
39.0% "am I missing something? is this part of a series? what, exactly, is a "shaper"? I get "commo" from context clues but wha?????"
06/29/2010 page 153
68.0% "this is so far different than anything I normally read - really strange..."
03/12/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Hmmm - when I strated reading the review i though - chimps bodies and brain - cummon already. But as i read more of your review I started to wonder at the sci fi side to it all. If this has been done well it could be very interesting. Off to thelibrary today - will have a look for it. I love 'realistic' sci fi too - exploring possibilities rather than just blowing things in space up.
Thanks - will let you know what I think and if i find any more similar tales

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger You know, somehow I missed the damn monkey on the cover when I took the book out! When I got home and saw that I groaned and figured I wouldn't read it. Only because I'm trying to read outside of my normal genres more I decided to give it a try.
It's not a absolutely fantastic book or anything but it's fast and it's worth a read I think. And for the most part it is realistic - in the sense that who knows, maybe someday something could be done like this. It's interesting to think about for sure.
Do you read a lot of sci-fi? I don't, this is one of the first for me really. That's one genre that really scares me because like you said, blowing up things in space does nothing for me. lol!

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger I almost forgot - and if you read this tell me if you know or don't know - there was a lot about "shapers" and it didn't really say what the heck "shapers" are. They called a phone a "commo" and I could figure that out by the rest of the sentence but I could not figure out what a shaper is. I don't know if I'm missing something, if this is a part of a series, or if it should have been explained better or what!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Shapers are often shape shifters in sci-fi books. Does that apply?

And i don't read much sci-fi but i like it when i can find ones that just suggest an alternate reality
have you read the handmaidens tale?
its a cracker of that sort

message 5: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger I've heard of that one but I haven't read it. I'm going to go to the lising and check it out though.
I don't think it could be that but maybe. It was kind of confusing honestly. I think "shapers" were people but apparently some were and some weren't. If you read it I definitely am interested in your take on things! lol

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim K - will let you know if i read it and what i think

Peacegal Shapers were televisions.

message 8: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger Hi, thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's been awhile since I read this and I don't remember t.v.'s playing a part? Are you/did you read this? What I mean is, are you speaking from the actual term in this book or from elsewhere? I don't recall the t.v. angle....

message 9: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger Wait! In the trees? Am I on track? I may be understanding if I am getting it right now.... :)

Peacegal Yes, I just read it a few days ago. The "shaper" (TV) cameras were set up in the jungle so people could watch the apes at home on their shapers (TVs). The book made it sound as if they were essentially 3-D TVs.

message 11: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger I get it now! I wonder why I didn't pick up on that while reading it. Maybe because when I hear "shaper" I automatically think of the sci-fi version, like Kim's answer above.
Thanks a lot - I really appreciate it. I'm actually starting to want to read this over and I hardly ever reread anything.
You don't happen to know any others you'd stick in the same category with this do you? I'd like to read more like it but sci-fi really isn't my thing at all so I'm always nervous. This was different though, for me anyway.

Peacegal Hmm. That's a toughie. There's a book on my to-read list called "The End of Mr. Y," about a woman who can transfer her mind into other beings, including a mouse.

message 13: by Eva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eva Leger I'm going to check it out! Thanks a lot - I know that was a tough thing to ask! :)