Dylan Hearn's Reviews > Future Perfect

Future Perfect by Katrina Mountfort

Future Perfect is a great YA dystopian satire of today's shallow, celeb-infatuated culture. It's the late 22nd Century. After a biological terrorist attack the bulk of humanity live in secluded domes. All strive to reach the pinnacle of body perfect status, an androgynous state that leaves little difference between the sexes. It is a perfect world where everything is provided for but relationships are forbidden and friendships frowned upon. The majority are happy to live this way, spending the time not focussing on the perfect body image watching mindless and cruel entertainment shows, but for a few this life isn't enough.

Caia is a well-educated woman who finds her life turned upside down after meeting a new co-worker, Mac. Unsure of what is happening, Caia becomes drawn into a world of illicit attraction and forbidden knowledge.

This is a really good read that will appeal to fans of the Hunger Games and Divergent but brings in its own unique sensibility. Mountfort has skilfully drawn together a future that is both strange and horribly familiar. In Caia and Mac, she has created two characters that most will be able to identify with, capturing perfectly the emotions of early love through innocent eyes. There were a few occasions where I felt the angst was a little overpowering but that is probably due to my age than the writing itself. As the story progressed and their difficulties mounted, I found myself racing through the pages to find out what would happen. It wasn't what I expected. Recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Future Perfect.

Started Reading