Patrick's Reviews > The Slow Regard of Silent Things

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

(Review from the author)

So this book is coming out on the 28th of October, just two weeks away, and I'm growing increasingly nervous.

This isn't an unusual thing. Authors are always anxious before the release of a book. We worry if people will like it. We worry about the publisher being satisfied with the sales. We worry about the translations being good.

I am all those types of worried. But I have other worries too.

One of my biggest concerns is that despite my best efforts to spread the word, people will pick this book up thinking it's book three. (It's not.) If that happens, they can't help but be disappointed. If you take a drink expecting milk and get orange juice instead, you're going to be unhappy. It doesn't matter how good the orange juice is. It's shocking and unpleasant.

Equally troubling to me is the thought that people will see this book and think, "Oh, I've heard of that Rothfuss guy. Maybe I'll try him out..."

And then they'll pick up this book and start reading. And it won't make one damn bit of sense to them because they don't have any idea who Auri is. Because this story is about her. This is Auri's book.

For all these reasons, I wrote my first ever Author's Foreword. I expected my editor to cut it. But she didn't. And when I asked her if I could share it here. She said I could.

So here it is.

* * *

You might not want to buy this book.

I know, that's not the sort of thing an author is supposed to say. The marketing people aren't going to like this. My editor is going to have a fit. But I'd rather be honest with you right out of the gate.

First, if you haven't read my other books, you don't want to start here.

My first two books are The Name of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. If you're curious to try my writing, start there. They're the best introduction to my world. This book deals with Auri, one of the characters from that series. Without the context of those books, you're probably going to feel pretty lost.

Second, even if you have read my other books, I think it's only fair to warn you that this is a bit of a strange story. I don't go in for spoilers, but suffice to say that this one is... different. It doesn't do a lot of the things a classic story is supposed to do. And if you're looking for a continuation of Kvothe's storyline, you're not going to find it here.

On the other hand, if you'd like to learn more about Auri, this story has a lot to offer. If you love words and mysteries and secrets. If you're curious about the Underthing and alchemy. If you want to know more about the hidden turnings of my world....

Well, then this book might be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

Quotes Patrick Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“But how awful would that be? How terrible to live surrounded by the stark, sharp, hollowness of things that simply were enough?”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

October 14, 2014 – Shelved
Started Reading
October 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 342 (342 new)

Patrick Share and Enjoy, folks.

message 2: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff Austin Preordered it. Can't wait for it's release.

Sally Howes I have also preordered it and am counting the days! Which is pretty impressive considering I usually have no idea what the current date is ...

message 4: by B (new) - added it

B Schrodinger I love Auri, so this will be a great read. I think the intro is great, truthful and very helpful.

Ahyira I really understand why you're worried and I think the foreword explains this very well to the potential reader. But I also think you really don't need to worry so much, because you could write an instruction on how to build Ikea stuff and I would still love every word of it. Because your way with words is that good. (There, I said it.)
In other news, I can't wait to get my hands on Auri's story.

Åsa Böker I do wish it was the third book. :-) But I am also so curious about Auri and her story, that it will be a pleasure to read.

Marielle Lien I am so excited, first in line at the library to get this! :D

Jonathan A Counting down the days, Pat. Great Foreword.

message 9: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Stanton Can't wait! :)

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Thankyou for the explanation. I was expecting it to be book 3 of the saga so would have been disappointed. Now I wont be bc its been made clear from the start.

Gabriel It doesn't matter that this isn't the third book. We are happy to read any books from this unique writer and especially to find out about Auri's story.

message 12: by C.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.D. Coffelt I am exactly the type of reader you wrote Slow Regard for. No worries, Patrick.

Tetiana Bilokin Pre-ordered, looking forward to reading Auri's story. Fully aware it's not book 3. End of Ocober is not coming soon enough (book release).

message 14: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I knew, and I look forward to it. Maybe I'm in the minority here but take as long as you need to write book 3, the first two books are huge. I assume they required a lot of labor. However, they are easy to read, which sounds weird but your drawn in to the world and the pages fly by far too quickly. Or perhaps not quickly enough, as I was somewhat grumpy at interruptions. Dinner and movies with loved ones, 5 hours of precocious reading time, gone. Appointments, work, and the knowledge that an all nighter isn't going to help, so you go to bed on time for a change, maybe an hour late, or 2. Loved the you tube interview, there is a king and he will be killed.

Ginny Factor Ridiculously excited :D

message 16: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Shkurhan Not to worry Pat. You've a devoted following for good reasons. I'm really looking forward to reading more about Auri and her world. But hey, good author's forward nonetheless.

Ginny Factor "The Lightening Tree" in Rogues (a story about Bast) was phenomenal. Everyone should check it out if you haven't already.

Alexandre López calvo I already preordered this book. Twice. In both languages (Spanish & English). Take a deep breath. We are gonna love it. And deep inside your chest you know it. You wrote it. You made it. Your writing work is done.

Now is the time for our job. Love it.

message 19: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Melchiori Oh si, me encanta la alquimia y los misterios, ansioso de conocer el sentido real de las palabras. Desde Argentina, saludos!

message 20: by Lulu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu Stephen King had a pretty similar Author's forward in the uncut version of The Stand, all about how he was hoping that I - the reader - hadn't picked up the version with an extra 400+ pages by mistake. I suppose I did, since I didn't realize there was a CUT version, but I'm glad I got it anyway!
And likewise, I'm fully prepared for whatever's waiting for me in Slow Regard!

Ignacio Yes! just pre-ordered it :)

Carla Ramos Its the kind of book the dreams (actual dreams, not daydreams) are made of. Its my favourite kind of book and i will love it!
Auri is one of the best characters ever made, all feathery and musical. It cant go bad.

Jaime I was very excited when you announced this story. I wanted to know more about Auri in the same way one might follow a firefly to see where it goes during the day. Congrats on another release!

message 24: by Robert (last edited Oct 15, 2014 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Robert Turner Pre ordered and interested, despite wanting book 3, I strongly suspect I'm not the only one. Whilst waiting for book I have discovered Jorg, Arlen, Kaladin, Vin, Kelsier, Elend Vaelin al Sorna, Corban and many more names. Names that without the Name of the Wind I may never have discovered, many thanks Patrick. Unfortunately Kvothe's name begins to fade amongst them. I hope that this trip back to the University and Auri's tale will bring it back to the fore.

message 25: by TSDavies (new)

TSDavies Really looking forward to reading Auri's tale, Pat! Good luck and I'm sure everyone will love it!

message 26: by Alyx (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyx Hatton I love Auri to pieces and can't wait to read her story. I preordered it as soon as our local book store would allow me! I'm sure people will be frustrated and disappointed that this is not the third book, and I'm sure some ass holes won't read the forward then come on good reads and give you "one star out of pity." those people are douches and aren't real fans of your work. Take as long as you need on the third to make it as amazing as the firs two! I, as well as many others, are looking forward to finding out more about Auri.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tell the marketing peeps that I'm going to zip through your other books so I can read this one since it features a female character! Include me in the numbers!

James  Murphy Write on, Patrick, write on and don't give a damn what anyone thinks!

message 29: by George-michael (new)

George-michael Woods Perordered. Oh yes. I am re- reading NOTW now. I I am nervous about the upcoming chapter after Ben after the troop. I have a sense of dread going into that story again. Thank you. It is amazing to feel nervous about reading. Please read these books. P.R. is a great writer.

message 30: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Pre-ordered it! Comes out day after my bday! This foreword is making me more excited to read it! Glad it was kept in. I see you are also narrating this book! Cool! We were blown away with your huge personality at Phoenix Comicon! So, am gonna have to get audible as well! And...yep even in your forties ya care & get nervous! Good Luck!

message 31: by Martin (new)

Martin II Damn it man! You are such a tease.

message 32: by Luke (new) - added it

Luke You did the unexpected and did not release book three that people are so anxious to get their peepers into. This is gona piss people off and of course delight people at the same time. For myself and maybe lots of others I fall into both category's,im interested in Auri's life in the underbelly and I hope I will like it. Also at the same time im painfully waiting for book three. I hope this is worth it and will keep me ticking over abit untill book three.

Lauren Rodino I think you're caring too much about other people. Me and all the fans I know are very excited! Plus you're not the first author to expand on a story in the middle of a series. GRRM did Dunk and Egg. I also think that unless it says "KINGKILLER CHRONICLES BOOK 3" you should be fine!

message 34: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad I had been hoping for more about Auri since TWMF.

message 35: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Ferguson You're probably overreacting. Probably.

Jennie Rosenbaum I've preordered :) I can't wait! I love Auri, I felt a real connection with her straight away. I need more underthing in my life. Wait, that didn't sound right..

message 37: by Raphael (new)

Raphael Ok, now I can see how the third book can answer all the questions left open (which is, idk, 70% of the story?).
You release 'spin off' books with new stories and lots of answers that tie in with the main trilogy, so when the third book comes out, there were only a handfull of questions left...
Hum...just don't let Martin do the same!

message 38: by Bradley (new) - added it

Bradley Wilson I can't wait to read this book. You can spin such an amazing story Patrick. You're one of my favorite authors and I think you have nothing to worry about. Cheers!

message 39: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi De I'm so excited for the book. Auri was one of my favorite characters. Best part is I'm attending your meet and greet reading in Seattle.

Athene I'm so excited! I adore Auri and cannot wait for this book <3

message 41: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Super excited!!!!! Ok so its not a continuation of Kvothe's tale, but thats fine. By the way... when can we imagine to see book 3, AKA the continuation of Kvothe's tale?

message 42: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I can't wait for this! Auri is one of my favorites.

message 43: by Adam (new)

Adam Ferguson Preordered on Kindle, I have to know more about Auri and the "Underthing". She is such an enigma to me that my curiosity is curious lol!

message 44: by Jeffrey (new) - added it

Jeffrey I am looking forward to this. Since I am a completist, I own your first two books in paperback - which means I'm going to pass on the hardback release and scoop it up once the DAW paperback is out.

message 45: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Holicky Rest assured Pat, anyone who has read books 1 & 2 is anxiously awaiting book 3 and is well aware that this is not it. Grateful to have The Lightning Tree and The Slow Regard.. while we wait.

message 46: by Damon (new)

Damon Steine no need to worry about this one, just get book 3 out!

pleaseeeeeeee!

Alicia Auri is my favorite character, so this book is on my must read list. :)

message 48: by DeeDee (new) - added it

DeeDee Can't wait! It's going to be excellent. I'm so curious about Auri.

Holly (The Grimdragon) I've preordered. Auri is such a fantastic character -- I cannot wait to read more of her story!

message 50: by Devyn (new) - added it

Devyn I can't wait to read about Auri more and learn her story!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7