Liralen's Reviews > French Kissmas

French Kissmas by Catherine Hapka

Oct 14, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: z-2014, fiction, travel, reviewed, ya

In the only S.A.S.S. book to feature a return heroine, Nicole has been expanding her horizons somewhat by taking the year off before college to travel around Europe. Now she's back in Paris for a few weeks to revisit old haunts and get embroiled in a love triangle take part in an S.A.S.S. promotional video.

I had a much easier time with this one than with Pardon My French, in large part I think because Nicole's been gifted with a personality and a spine. (She's also been saddled with a giggly, ditzy best friend, but let's just not go there.)

That said, it's pretty thin on plot. For all that the video is the official reason for Nicole's return to Paris, she spends most of her time careening back and forth between two boys, one of whom is as all-American as all-American can be and the other of whom is as flirtatiously...well...flirtatious as can be. Some other characters run around throwing drama across the page, but they generally aren't very well fleshed out. I do like Annike (and I kind of wanted the reality show she's considering auditioning for to be a spin-off series...), and I appreciate that the author makes a point to send Nicole all over Paris. But for a follow-up book that's supposed to be about romance, it's kind of...light on the romance, heavy on the manufactured triangle, and mostly devoid of other plot.

All of which is to say: Still an improvement over the first one, but I'm looking forward to moving on to another country.

More general look at the series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Kissmas.

Finished Reading