Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)'s Reviews > Joyride

Joyride by Anna Banks

bookshelves: 2015, june-2015, arc, audiobook, audiobook-for-review

I adored this book! As a hispanic girl, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I get when I see a hispanic book character. Unfortunately, most of the books I read with hispanic characters have them either involved with drug dealers, gangs or cartels. This can get annoying pretty fast. I looooove that this book didn't feature any of that stuff and love even more that other than being a really cute romance, it also deals with some really serious issues like immigration, deportation and discrimination. Kudos to Anna Banks for not only tackling this subject, but pulling it off so realistically. *bows down* I liked this book so much that I heard it and had to listen to the audio again.

After Carly's parents were deported to Mexico a few years ago, Carly and her older brother Julio's life has revolved around getting their parents and their younger brother and sister back to the United States. This is not an exaggeration, these poor kids pretty much slave to try to save enough money to smuggle their family back. Carly works the night shift at a convenience store and her brother works at a construction company and other than the basic necessities, every penny goes to their fund. One night, while one of her regulars was leaving the store, she is shocked to see that a kid is holding her customer at gunpoint. Against all her instincts, she runs outside with the store gun to try to scare the guy away. Turns out that the wannabe robber is none other than Arden, the popular guy at her school, who was only trying to scare off her uncle (with an unloaded gun) from driving drunk. After that night, Arden can't stop thinking about Carly and is determined to befriend her. He thinks she would be the perfect partner for his pranks and after some convincing, Carly and Arden begin a really adorable friendship. The more time they spend together, the stronger their attraction grows. But with Carly keeping secrets from Arden, Arden racism father, and the danger of smuggling her family back, things aren't as simple as first love should be.

I know a few people might be bothered by how much pressure Carly's parents and her brother put on her, but I found it realistic. I know people who are guilted by their parents living in Mexico into sending them money, and it's terrible but it happens. Living in Arizona, 30 minutes away from the border, I'm also aware of how hard it is for illegal immigrants to have a good life here having to constantly hide all the time. Seeing houses and cars on the freeway being raided by immigration is a common occurrence and I really love that Anna Banks didn't gloss over any of that. I was a little bit worried about the ending, because I wanted it to be realistic while doing the story justice, and I was so happy with the ending. There were a few plot twists that ended up surprising me, which is always a plus in books. Other than absolutely loving the romance in this book, it was so much more than that and I loved every second of it. I loved Carly's internal struggle and the guilt she deal with over her family. On one hand, she wanted her family back more than anything, but at the same time, she just yearned to be a normal girl and deal with normal things. I've read and liked this author's previous books, but I have to say that this one is my favorite. I really hope we get more contemporary books by Anna Banks!

Audiobook Comments: This isn't the first audiobook I've heard narrated by Andrew Eiden and I think he gets better and better each time. Out of the 3 audiobooks I've heard, his performance as Arden has to be my favorite so far. I'm so happy that they got a male narrator for Arden's POV scenes and I think he did a really great job. He was completely age appropriate and he pulled off that signature Arden cocky attitude and he sounded totally swoon-worthy. (Always a plus). This is my first audio by Kyla Garcia and I was crossing my fingers that she could pull off an authentic spanish accent, which she totally did! Kayla was so good as Carly and her performance only made me love the character even more. I read the book last month and loved it so much that I jumped at the chance to listen to the audio and heard it a few days again. Made me fall in love with these characters and the story all over again. Joyride was not only a fantastic read, it was also a really great audio.

4.5 out of 5 stars

***
Read full review & more of my reviews at Mostly YA Book Obsessed
Photobucket

Bloglovin Twitter Tumblr Pinterest Polyvore

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joyride.

October 14, 2014 – Shelved
55.0% "Loving this!"
May 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: audiobook
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: audiobook-for-review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon I can't wait to read this book! great to see you are enjoying it Nereyda x

Becky I also loved the audio. My daughter said it made her love her name, listening to him say it.