Robert Ronsson's Reviews > American Psycho

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

liked it

Okay, three stars is a cop out. This is a book that divides opinion and I feel split down the middle. I was a very small bit player in the world of UK finance in the 1980s and I recognise the vacuous world of brands and oneupmanship that BEE describes so brilliantly. Another reviewer writes about the lack of empathy and he's got that right. Greed was good; greed was God. All consuming greed is the opposite pole to empathy.
I get the feeling that BEE must have read that one of the defining characteristics of a psychopath is that they lack empathy. So it follows that he will make Patrick Bateman a psychopath because, as he demostrates in the first half of the book, he lacks empathy. Except it doesn't follow and, as it turns out, it doesn't follow. Not exactly. Hard to follow? Wait until you read the book.
Being inside Patrick Batemans's head is very difficult at times but I felt I had to stay in there to solve the remaining puzzle that, incredibly, some of the reviewers seem to have missed completely.
I don't think it's an important book. I don't think it's a particularly clever book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I think they'll think I'm weird for liking it.
In the words of the Lady Chatterley obscenity trial prosecutor, Mervyn Griffith-Jones, it's not the sort of book I "would wish [my] wife or servants to read".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Psycho.

Started Reading