Christina (Reading Extensively)'s Reviews > Pretty Face

Jun 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: chicklit, read2010, romance, ya
Read in July, 2010

Hayley's summer in Italy is a life changing event. Her mother's best friend Patrice and her family help Hayley are a good influence on her. Hayley is surprised at how they savor meals and the relaxed pace of everyday living. At home, Hayley was a slave to the scale and to all kinds of negative thoughts about herself. Here, she begins to enjoy life and to appreciate herself. She also meets Enzo, a handsome Italian guy who likes her as she is.

Pretty Face made me long to visit Italy, eat lots of Italian food, drink plenty of Italian wine, and fall in love with the scenery. I thought this was a great story and I really liked Hayley's character. I enjoyed seeing her bloom away from the pressure of Santa Monica and her mom. Hayley grows up a lot over the summer and she is even able to understand her mom a little better. It was great to see her experience her first love as well.

I read and reviewed this book for Body Image and Self Perception Month. At the beginning of the book Hayley has low self esteem about her body image. She eats for comfort when she gets upset which doesn't help things and she hates being known for her sense of humor only or for having a "pretty face". It was nice to watch Hayley adjust her attitude about her body and learn to embrace her curves.

Readalikes: Secrets of Truth and Beauty by Megan Frazer, The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler, Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen, A Field Guide for Heartbreakers by Kristen Tracy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Face.