Rob's Reviews > Fool's Quest

Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb

bookshelves: elderlings, fantasy, audio-book, own, sff-audio, read-2015, author-female

Executive Summary: I loved this book. It's everything I had hoped Fool's Assassin would have been. There are a things I didn't like, that will understandably be much more off putting for some than they were for me however.

Audio book: Elliot Hill once again does an excellent job. He does a variety of voices and inflections that make doing this book in audio a good option.

Full Review
I absolutely loved Fool's Fate. I'd have been perfectly content if the series ended there. Last year's Fool's Assassin was enjoyable, but not as much as I'd have liked. It left me apprehensive for this book.

I shouldn't have been. That isn't to say bad things don't happen to our beloved Fitz. Any fan of the Ederling books won't be surprised by that. Ms. Hobb sure loves to torment Fitz, though probably not as much as he torments himself.

This book grabbed me from the start, and never let me go. I hated every time I had to stop listening. In fact once my hardcover copy arrived, I augmented my audio time by reading as well.

For reasons I can't fathom, many people seem to skip the excellent Liveship Traders series and more have skipped the quite enjoyable Rainwild Chronicles. While I wouldn't call it a prerequisites for this book, I would highly recommend reading those books first. There are so many great rewards in the book for people who have. If you haven't, I doubt you'll be lost, but you won't get the same enjoyment in my opinion.

It's pretty much impossible for me to get into why I loved this book more than the last one without massive spoilers. I suspect most longtime fans will share my excitement however.

That said, despite getting one of my rare 5 star ratings (this is only the second book by Ms. Hobb I've given that too), there are some complaints. Or maybe not complaints so much as things I wish weren't in this book. I found them very upsetting. I'd have preferred some kind of alternative reason used to drive the plot forward. I suspect some people may be more upset than I was, and others may be more indifferent.

Overall though, those were very minor things to me in an absolutely fantastic book. I will warn that if you hate cliffhangers, you may wish to avoid reading this book until we're much closer to the release of the next book. It is a pretty big one. With it being the second book of a trilogy, and how the first book ended, I can't say I'm very surprised.

Much like the last one, I am both nervous and excited to read the next one and see what Ms. Hobb has in store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool's Quest.

October 13, 2014 – Shelved
August 4, 2015 – Shelved as: sff-audio
August 8, 2015 – Started Reading
August 8, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 8, 2015 –
13.0% "That's more like it. I'm already enjoying this more than the last one. Hooray for early review copies!"
August 9, 2015 –
29.0% "So far this is everything I was hoping the first book would be. Really loving this!"
August 10, 2015 –
50.0% "So hard to put down despite some unpleasantness I could have done without."
August 11, 2015 –
62.0% "I hate characters who are completely despicable, even though I know people like that exist. I really just don't like reading about them. That's really my only complaint so far though."
August 12, 2015 –
August 13, 2015 –
August 14, 2015 –
August 15, 2015 –
100.0% "Such a great book, but what a terrible place to end it... Full review to follow."
August 15, 2015 – Finished Reading
August 1, 2016 – Shelved as: author-female

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Linette wrote: "Now you can't 'boo' me anymore ;)"

Sure I can..I can boo you for posting this on my non-existent review instead of my status update. :-D

David Sven Great review Rob!

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob David Sven wrote: "Great review Rob!"

Thanks David.

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Hmm. I just noticed this was my 400th review on Goodreads!

Damian Dubois Out of curiosity, what did you find upsetting about the book? Great review as always, Rob.

message 6: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (view spoiler)

Suzanne I don't think you are overly sensitive. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Well more like: (view spoiler)

Here's where we were discussing if if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Suzanne Interesting discussion - thanks! Now I'm even more anxious for the next book, just thinking about this one.

message 10: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob You're welcome.

elithea "Elliot Hill once again does an excellent job."????? are we talking about the same audiobook?

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars