Kristin's Reviews > Damsel Not

Damsel Not by Kristina Circelli

bookshelves: 2014

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
In the very beginning of the book, we are introduced to Izz, a very recent young widow who is struggling to overcome her fear of the ocean to honor her husband's wishes and release his ashes into the ocean. During the book, we are given the reason for the paralyzing fear, but what sounds like a past life memory, is never truly explained.Given the story line, perhaps it could be a past life memory.
I loved Izz, her struggles with guilt and grief after her husband's death are so consuming, it truly colors every moment of her life, as grief so often does when it involves someone very close and dear to us. I enjoyed how her life ended up mirroring the books she wrote, and I enjoyed how she fought her growing feelings for Cade. Cade is something else.While I did enjoy his character, it felt sometimes that perhaps he was pushing Izz a little too hard and not respecting the grief she felt for her husband's death. On the other hand, if this was drawn out anymore so that he could respect her grieving period, it would be a very long and arduous book indeed.
The action went just fast enough, and picked up a story line that was starting to lag a little and get a little repetitive. The final showdown was enough of a twist that it hooked my interest once more. I definitely didn't expect the way the sword and jewel worked together, and that was a wonderful way to end a fight that had such equal foes.
Overall, this was a good start to going into contemporary romance. There were some rough patches with lagging story line, but the quality of writing was exactly what I expected out of one of my favorite authors this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damsel Not.

October 13, 2014 – Shelved
October 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 13, 2014 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
October 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
November 16, 2014 – Started Reading