Rikke's Reviews > Heidi

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

bookshelves: classics, childrens-books

When I was 8 years old I had a best friend. Whenever we had a sleepover we would find some of her picture books and flip through them before bedtime. One of my favorite stories was the one about Heidi; the pictures of the beautiful, blonde girl living in the mountains among goats and pretty flowers captured me. I really adored the story and I still remember some of the pictures.

I did not think that I would remember the story. After all, I had never actually read the book, just looked at the colorful pictures. But as it turned out, I could remember. Reading this book for the first time felt like revisiting a beloved childhood story. And I remembered it all.

"Heidi" is a rather simple, naturalistic tale about the healthy life, living in harmony with nature and choosing a home for oneself. It is easy to compare to Frances Hodgson Burnett's "The Secreet Garden", but it is also something quite unique with a dear main character who finds joy in every sunbeam and every flower.

It is adorable. Helplessly charming and sweetly old-fashioned. The perfect comfort-read on a rainy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heidi.

October 13, 2014 – Shelved