Karen Collier's Reviews > Out of the Storm

Out of the Storm by Jody Hedlund

Oct 12, 2014

bookshelves: own-ebook

This review appeared first at www.edgyinspirationalromance.com.

Curious about Jody Hedlund’s new Beacons of Hope series? Out of the Storm provides the opportunity for readers to sample this author’s breathtaking storytelling in a shorter novella form before diving into the full series of novels. And with a price like… well, free for the electronic edition… you have no excuse not to go download it from your favorite retailer right now. Or… ahem… maybe after you read the review? No?

Oh, okay, I’ll wait here ‘til you get back. ;)

Got your copy now? Okay, cool. Let’s talk about it.

My Thoughts:

Can a scoundrel’s ne’er-do-well ways be reformed by the love of a good woman? I’d say that depends a lot on the scoundrel in question and on God, but I’m also guessing a lot of romance readers would like to think so. And I’ll readily admit it makes for an appealing storyline.

Despite being wounded and nearly frozen to death when he arrives at the lighthouse where Isabelle and her father live an isolated life, Henry turns out to be quite the flirt. Even reading from the Bible together turns into flirtation. And despite Isabelle’s best intentions to honor her father’s wishes by staying away from Henry, and her own reluctance to develop any sort of emotional attachment that she’s certain could only lead to heartbreak, Isabelle finds him pretty irresistible. Frankly, I think a lot of readers may find him pretty irresistible too. His seemingly incorrigible behavior certainly made me smile.

There’s some nursing back to health, a bit of danger and intrigue, and a healthy measure of romance in this story. Oh, and some very passionate kissing.

Sigh…

Oh, right, you’re waiting for the end of the review, aren’t you? Sorry. I got a bit distracted there. ;)

So, yeah, you should probably go ahead and download Out of the Storm now if you haven’t already, and when you’re done devouring it in a single sitting, I’m thinking you’ll want to go get a copy of Love Unexpected (Book 1 in the series) as well. I know I want to read it.

Story: 4.5 stars

Content: I’d put this on the edgy to edgier end of the spectrum for Christian fiction because of that passionate kissing I mentioned.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Storm.

October 12, 2014 – Shelved