Lindsay's Reviews > Starcrossed

liked it
bookshelves: library-books, heart-pounding
Read from April 02 to 06, 2016

Okay here we go:

I did enjoy this book even though it took me about 6 years to get to it *epic fail.* There were some good aspects to it and some not so good aspects in this book that resulted in the 3 star rating.

The Good:
It was very easy to get into this book. I was swept away immediately and once I got close to the end, I couldn't stop. The writing style was pretty good too...not the most amazing I've ever seen, but overall enjoyable.

The plot was what really got me. There aren't that many stories out there that feature interesting Greek mythology (I'm looking at you Percy Jackson) and I have to say, this story was very original. I liked the idea of the Scions being descendants and all this interesting backstory we were given as readers. It made for a fun read.

Hector. Gotta say, I liked the kid. Ariadne too. And Jerry. And Kate.

The Bad:
I had trouble connecting with the characters. Lucas was a sweetheart but overall he was so flat as a character. There weren't many layers to him so that was a bummer. You can tell that he cared about Helen but that was really all I got as far as personality goes.

Helen wasn't bad for me, I just feel on the fence with how quickly she fell for Lucas when there wasn't much character to him. I mean, it was a die-for-me kind of love...but that's kind of hard to get into when the characters are flat.

The chapters were WAY too long. Like holy shit this one chapter is forty pages??? There's nothing wrong with having shorter chapters, and the majority of the time I was reading, I kept thinking 'here's a good place to end the chapter...oh wait it's still going and going and going...'

I feel like a lot of the characters weren't fleshed out very much overall and they felt more like general stereotypes of how characters should be. Evil Creon being super evil, Claire being cute quirky friend (who has psychopathic tendencies that go completely unnoticed...pushing Helen off the roof, stabbing Helen, etc.); it just got to be too much to be enjoyed. I found myself constantly annoyed.

Once I understood the backstory, everything became way too predictable. Annoyingly so. I like a little bit of mystery in the books I read.

The End?:

Now, I was fully prepared to read the rest of the series and ultimately find out when (not if) Lucas and Helen got back together. Except when I read the summary of the second book, I saw that the author was implementing one of my favorite things in the whole wide world: the love triangle. And I said 'nope, not happening, not now, not ever.'

It would be one thing if Helen decided she didn't love Lucas, or she didn't want to be with him, or that she was looking for something more. But authors don't do that; they depend on an overused trope to make the story entertaining. But it's overused! I don't want to read books like this anymore. I'm sick of love triangles because at this point, they're unoriginal when it comes to plot.

So this series is a dnf for me.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

05/23/2015 marked as: tbr-pile