Anna's Reviews > Twisted Fate

Twisted Fate by Norah Olson

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** This book is being compared (by the Goodreads blurb at least) to the E. Lockhart book We Were Liars, and the Mara Dyers series by Michelle Hodkin. I see NO resemblance to either of those books (which I both really enjoyed by the way) and the only way this comes even close is that it tries to be a psychological thriller. The operative word in that sentence being "tries." I will admit freely that I did not read this entire book. It is less than 300 pages long, and when I was almost a 100 pages into it and absolutely NOTHING had happened yet, I decided to do something a true reader almost never does (unless they truly can't help themselves). I skipped to the last few pages, so I could see exactly how it ended. Boy was I glad that I didn't waste my time reading the other 200 or so pages!!!

Basically, this book is supposedley about twin sisters. One is a true goody-two-shoes, with the personality of a wet rag and the mental capability of a kindergartner. The other one is emo because she skateboards and a genius because she knows a few big words. She is a truly annoying little bitch, overusing the word 'philistine' because she thinks it's cool for some unknown reason. A new boy moves in next door. Graham is supposed to be a "bad" boy. Cue the drama, right? At least that's what the book jacket suggests. But then at the end, I found myself reading an obituary for one girl named Sydney Alyson. That's right, there is not a twin - she has multiple personality disorder. What the actual FUCK???!!! Why is this even necessary??? I just can't even abide that at all. It is the cheapest cop out in the history of thrillers, and is just an excuse for lazy writing and shitty characters. Yeah, next E. Lockhart my ass (I apologize if the cursing offends you, but this is one of my least favorite plot devices, by far). I am just so over this crap. Learn how to write and get back to me. I just might read something else by you - anything but this book anyways. It burned my eyeballs from my head with that "shocking revelation." And not in a good way.

VERDICT: 0.5/5 Stars (Goodreads would only let me go down to a 1 star - it's worse than that though. One of the worst I've ever read!)

**I reviewed this book as part of Around the World ARC Tours, run by the lovely Princess Bookie. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is January 20th, 2015.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twisted Fate.

October 12, 2014 – Started Reading
October 12, 2014 – Shelved
October 12, 2014 –
page 25
October 16, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Cassandra "the personality of a wet rag" - you hit the nail right on the head there! Couldn't have said it better myself. The one thing I hated beyond anything else in this book was the characters - so stereotypical and flat.

As for the "twist" which you call a cop out - I completely agree. Not only was this forseeable as all heck, but it was nearly as bad as reading, "I woke up and it had all been a dream." REALLY?

message 2: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Cassandra wrote: ""the personality of a wet rag" - you hit the nail right on the head there! Couldn't have said it better myself. The one thing I hated beyond anything else in this book was the characters - so ste..."

That plot device is so overused that it never ceases to piss me off. And yes, both of the "twins" were wet rags. Really, really drippy ones! :p

Katie I never thought they were twins but that Alyson was older. Still the ending was wtf how did it even happen? She gets her face smashed but can still drive to Graham’s house?