Samantha Oledan's Reviews > The Forbidden Game

The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith

** spoiler alert ** I love this book. I really missed reading L.J. Smith's creations. I like how she plays with my emotions through the twists and turns in her books.

The characters were strong and they had their own personalities that the book couldn't go on with one of them missing.

I was totally caught up with the Tom-Jenny-Julian love triangle. At the first book, The Hunter, I wanted Jenny to end up with Julian since he was mysterious and seductive. And since Tom's exposure was not that big, and I had an impression that he was kind of possessive since he tells Jenny what to or not to wear, I was hoping that he would get out of the picture. But on the second book, The Chase, I saw how much Tom loved Jenny. I think this was his moment :D. I just got irritated when he started avoiding Jenny because he thought he could never compete with Julian. But it was so sweet that he still tried to protect Jenny even from far away. He even risked his life killing the Creeper and the Lurker just to give Jenny an advantage in fighting Julian. I thought I was gonna go for Tom already, especially at the end of the second book when he went along with Jenny's plans even if he didn't really believe that it would work just so he could be with her until the end. But on the last book, The Kill, I was Team Julian again. I saw the gentle, human side of him a lot of times. It broke my heart when the fight was almost over and he let Jenny, Tom and their friends go. I felt the pain Julian was hiding. I knew he was jealous and it was very painful for him to let go of somebody you've been caring and loving for 10 years. I was so devastated when he died. Well, he didn't really die since he was never born, but the fact that he ceased to exist really broke my heat, especially now that he had changed. But at least he "died" peacefully and willingly just to save Jenny.

I praise L.J. Smith for all her wonderful books, especially when they involved love triangles. Aside from this book, another convincing love triangle story for me is the Vampire Diaries. I wish I can find more of her books here in the Philippines. I am a HUGE fan!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Game.

08/28/2010 page 40
5.0% "I just finished reading Beautiful Creatures, now it's time to read another L.J. Smith novel again. I really missed reading her books. :D"
09/02/2010 page 289
39.0% "Kanina sa school, may nakita akong babae may hawak din siyang ganitong libro. haha!"
09/07/2010 page 518
69.0% "Nakaka-stress yung kwento... pero maganda!!! I'm torn between Julian and Tom. haha :D. sige, Tom na lang. :D"
show 2 hidden updates…