Meg's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

F 50x66
Jun 18, 2010

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read from December 26 to 28, 2010

This book was so good! Three-dimensional, realistic characters (though with a few villains thrown in for good measure), adventure-full plot, expressive writing, interesting ethical dilemmas. Ahhhhh. This is the kind of fantasy I need more of. The concept of "Forging" is interesting and I look forward to further exploration of it in the sequels. Also liked the author's ambiguity about royal's relationships to their names (Regal, Chivalry, etc.).

P.S. I do wish the author would consistently use either ADJECTIVE or NOUN for people's names. It bothers my inner grammar police.

P.P.S. (Just 'cause I always have something to say about gender!) I didn't feel gender issues were fully addressed. For example, unacknowledged discrepancy between the statement that men or women can inherit rulership, and the fact that almost all the rulers (and power players in the court) are men. About 3/4 (or maybe 4/5) of the book is about male characters. Sexism only brought up to make a villain more evil (he's sadistic and stupid and incompetent AND he hates women!), not in a nuanced and interesting way. Minor quibbles in the context of this particular book, but worth noting.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Will (new)

Will So turns out we don't have the first one - Louise had it from the library. But she does have the Kindle version if you're not too technophobic, and we have the real book version of the second two.

Louise Nice! I hope you continue on to the other books of the series. I think the 1st one was weakest.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Enjoying it quite a bit so far. Jamie got it for me for Solstice (he secretly checked my GoodReads account).

message 1: by Will (new)

Will I think across the whole series, she does have a more nuanced take on gender roles.