Luke Burrage's Reviews > Ubik

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

liked it
bookshelves: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp

Full review on my podcast, see SFBRP episode #126.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ubik.

June 18, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 26, 2011 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
April 26, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
April 26, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Mouldy Squid Brave man, diving into PKD with this one. Ubik is more accessable than some of PKD's other novels, but I do hope you familiar with his work. You'll get much more out of it if you have read other PDK novels.

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Rowe I'll have to read this on soon. I'm working on The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich which is one of the coolest titles of any book I have read.

Mouldy Squid Tom wrote: "I'll have to read this on soon. I'm working on The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich which is one of the coolest titles of any book I have read."

There is a lot going on in Three Stigmata; it's one of the most dense and weird of Dick's novels. Not as hallucinatory as, say, A Scanner Darkly, but definitely weirder. I had some problems with the text and I'm not sure that I got everything out of it that I could, even with a second reading. Great fun though.

If you like Three Stigmata, Ubik and Valis are the next logical steps. Dick is a challenging writer and his novels are a difficult read at times but there are few authors so rewarding.

Keith Jones This was one of the first Dick books I read. Couldn't stand it. I should give it another chance.

Janne Järvinen Really interested to hear what you have to say about this, because I didn't like it at all.

Jason I've read a mountain of Dick & admired most of it ( my favorites are Do Androids...?, Transmigration of Tim Archer, and Radio Free Albemuth, to put my likes in perspective). UBIK was the last Dick I read (after the atrocious Deus Irae) and its superficiality, predictability and speed-freaking sloppiness turned me off of Dick. I do like Dick and hope to return to his work someday soon. UBIK just left a bad taste in my mouth...

Keith Jones Do Androids Dream was the first one I read. Loved the attempts to confuse the protagonist. Then VALIS, which I wanted to rip into a million little pieces I thought it was so bad and never finished. Then Ubik, which was a little better. My favorites are Clans of the Alphane Moon, Game Players of Titan, and Man in the High Castle.