Miriam's Reviews > My Name Is Georgia: A Portrait by Jeanette Winter

Jun 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: art, non-fiction, picture
Read on June 18, 2010

This is a sample, gentle introduction to the life and art of Georgia O'Keefe. I liked it but feel it might be a bit dull for little kids unless they are already pretty interested in art. The illustrations are good but do not have the same feel as O'Keefe's work, which is I assume what Winter was trying for. I did like the way they break the implicit frame of the square. I was a bit puzzled by the omnipresent brown striping on O'Keefe's face.

One thing I didn't like was the emphasis on O'Keefe's difference, especially as contrast with her sisters, who are presented as all the same, conformist little girls who care only about their hair and clothes. Winter seems overly influenced by the woman-defying-convention trope; in fact O'Keefe's mother encouraged all her children to study art, and her sisters had careers of their own. Georgia's sisters were the ones who encouraged her to return to art school. I'm sorry that the author didn't think a close, supportive family was interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Georgia.

Miriam I definitely felt like Winter had a model in mind when writing this, rather than a real person.

Lisa Vegan Miriam, I just finished this book, and I didn't quite know how to say it, but you said it perfectly re the stressing of her difference. I wasn't wild about that either, but could not think of how to say it eloquently.

Miriam At least since this is for little kids they couldn't focus on her sex life the way some of the biographies do!

Lisa Vegan True.

I still think with biographies, for whatever audience, should touch on all aspects of a person's life, unless it's clear they're covering only limited parts of a person's life.

And I can't say I really remember this book.