Liralen's Reviews > Lighter Than My Shadow

Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green

Oct 10, 2014

bookshelves: z-2014, ed-etc, graphic-novels, nonfiction, take-back-the-night, reviewed

Right before I read this, I came across an interview with Green on the BBC; one of the things she said was that, at one point during her eating disorder, she tried drawing it for her parents to help them understand what it was like to be in her head. And I think she's done a wonderful job of that here -- she writes with a lot of perspective, showing both how her thoughts were impacting her life and what that looked like from the outside.

I'm always cautious with graphic novels and memoirs; art style makes such a big difference in my experience as a reader. Green's art is clean but detailed; it works. Really lovely piece of memoir.

As an aside: The book isn't available in my library system, so I asked my mother to check it out for me at her library, along with several other books, before I arrived for a long weekend. She did -- and commented later that she'd anticipated (accurately) that this would be the first one I read; it just has the feel of something that will pull you in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lighter Than My Shadow.

Finished Reading