B. Barron's Reviews > Witch & Wizard

Jun 18, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: audio, young-adult
Read from June 18 to 23, 2010

** spoiler alert ** A pretty poor book. It was juvenile, and not in a good way. Youth Fiction should be written with respect for the audience – this book lacks that respect. Plus it’s an obvious setup for a series (please god NO). It’s jerky, haphazard, and presents us with a black & white characture of a dystopic reality that does not make much sense. They hate magic, yet their leader (the one who is the one) displays obvious paranormal abilities with aplomb and nobody is freaked (if he did it on the sly it could make sense, but to disintegrate a whole prison worth of kids is stupid, even if the only witnesses work for him they are all portrayed as terrified of magic. It would have made a hell of a lot more sense to just have them all shot – but I guess that would be too grim for youth fiction [that’s sarcasm, tragedies and horrors abound in youth fiction – they just have to be handled carefully. I guess the authors don’t have the skill to do that so the opted for stupidity:])

Maybe it’s Mr. Patterson, a very popular writer I simply don’t seem to enjoy. It could very well be me.

But its not drek. It’s not something I would burn if I needed to keep from freezing before I burned the tax code. But once those were gone it would be fule for the pyre. It gets a two, but it’s a low two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch & Wizard.