James Thane's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

This is an excellent conclusion to Larsson's Millennium Trilogy. The series protagonists, Lisbeth Salander and journalist Mikael Blomkvist take on a cast of especially nefarious characters in an effort to set right a host of injustices that have been visited upon Lisbeth from the time she was a very young girl.

As with the other two books in the series, this one would have benefitted from a little more rigorous editing. In particular, there is a subplot involving Mikael's long-time lover, Erika Berger, that is somewhat distracting. Still, like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire, this is a real page-turner. Get a lot of sleep before you start the book; almost certainly you won't get much until you finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Started Reading
June 18, 2010 – Shelved
June 18, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Kemper I agree about the editing. I have a theory that because Larsson died right after he had turned in the intial manuscripts, that his publishers may have been hesitant to make wholesale changes. If he would have lived, maybe they would have gotten him to tighten the story up? Still great books, even though they tend to wander.

James Thane Kemper, That certainly sounds like a plausible explanation to me. And given that Larsson apparently hadn't made a will, I'm assuming that he also hadn't designated a literary executor who might have acted in his stead on such matters. Still, I agree with you--they are great books in spite of whatever minor flaws they might have.

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a few months ago at an indie theater, and it really got me interested in the series. Can't wait to read it!

Mary Reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo now...it's one of those that niggles in my mind when I'm not reading it:>)

Janet Aileen I also agree with you about the editing. The entire series, however, has plots which are quite involved and interwoven. Knowing his background as an investigative journalist, he probably couldn't help making it complicated and involved. A great read. Once I picked it up, I had trouble putting it down.