Hilary's Reviews > House of Living Stones

House of Living Stones by Katie Schuermann

bookshelves: netgalley, christian-fiction

The women of the church seem determined to find a match for their young, bachelor pastor, so the young, single female choir director is enthusiastically welcomed... except by the organist and interim director. But then the rumor mill starts, as some supposedly Christian parishioners reveal smug self-righteousness and a desire to humiliate while others reveal a soft, caring heart hidden behind a prickly exterior, reminding us all that appearances are less important than heart.

Showing the difficulties of change within any established church, and especially when people are older and set in their ways, and the perils of gossip and speculation, the revelations when they open themselves to new possibilities are encouraging. Anyone who's worked behind the scenes will appreciate the personality conflicts and various resolutions!

With a love of God, the church, music and books shining through, fans of Mitford may also enjoy this; Jan Karon's series is a little lighter, but with a similar feel. Katie Schuermann's writing is descriptive and encompassing, but with a light touch revealing a heart of fun. (The bulletin errors were particularly entertaining.) There's sorrow and laughter, sharing and giving, and a couple of Anne moments that remind me it's time to reread an old favorite! I was happy to discover this is the first in a new series, and look forward to reading more!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Living Stones.

Started Reading