One Man Book Club's Reviews > Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: books-i-love, favs-for-10-and-up, great-stand-alone-s

Check out www.onemanbookclub.com for more content-aware book reviews and recommendations!

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Coraline
By: Neil Gaiman
My Rating: FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS!
Best for: 10 and up

Outstanding. A treasure. A pleasure. And creepy.

Neil Gaiman is a treasure.  Not only is he a brilliant author, but he's also an advocate for literacy and is the source of some of my favorite quotes on the value of reading to children.  I wish his adult books weren't so adult, and discerning readers need to be selective. American Gods and the Ansai Boys are too grown up for me, but I love Stardust, Neverwhere, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. But in my opinion, it's his books for young people where he truly shines.  The Graveyard Book.  Fortunately, the Milk.  Odd and the Frost Giants.

And Coraline.

I loved Coraline! Coraline (It's Coraline. Not Caroline.  Coraline. Just ask her.) and her parents move into a very old house, very large house.  Well, just part of the house.  It's too big for anyone person to own.  The other parts of the house occupied by a collection of unique and colorful characters.  As Coraline explores her new house and meets her new neighbors, she discovers a secret door that takes her to another place...but it's also the same place.  Isn't it?

In the other place we meet my favorite creepy character of all time: the Other Mother.

Dun-dun-duuuun!

Coraline is a perfect mix of creepy and fun.  It hugs the border of nightmares and happy dreams.  It's a perfect book for Halloween.  Or not Halloween.

Definitely one to read aloud with the kids!

It's creepy, so if your kiddoes have sensitivities you might pass.   But no content concerns otherwise.  It's themes are about confidence, being brave, and family love.  Great messages!  Oh, and if you've seen the movie but haven't experienced the book, well.

You lose.

Get your copy here!

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

October 9, 2014 – Shelved
October 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2014 – Started Reading
October 16, 2014 –
0.0% "In honor of Halloween..."
October 17, 2014 –
37.0% "Perfectly spooky, perfectly charming!"
October 17, 2014 – Finished Reading