James's Reviews > Kindred

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

M 50x66
Dec 20, 2007

Kindred was written by Octavia Butler. It's a story of Dana, who travels through time. Through her adventures, she loses her arm, and kills a man. She does more than she ever thought she could.

I thought it was interesting how Butler truly painted a picture through her description. I could see the Weylin house, I could envision it in my head because of her skilled description. I really liked the plot twists in the story. At the beginning of the story, I wasn't sure why Dana was going back in time. But by the end of it, I was just asking myself when she would go back next. The science fiction element of the novel made it appealing to many audiences.

This novel also had bad moments. I thought one of the biggest downfalls of this story was the ending. I really thought the majority of the book was very interesting and thought- provoking. But after I was finished reading it, I was surprisingly dissapointed. She traveled back and forth in the past and in the end she just killed the one she was supposed to protect in Rufus. Although I like the irony used by Butler, I was dissapointed with the ending.

Despite the novel's strong points, it was a dissapointment to read. The meat of the novel was very good, but I did not like the ending. That's why I didn't like it. Anyone who enjoys a good old fashioned character struggling to understand what they are going through would enjoy this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred.