Cameron Garriepy's Reviews > Blackfern Girls

Blackfern Girls by Liz Zimmers (formerly Eliza...

2084928

bookshelves: indies

I had the privilege of reading an ARC of this book prior to release.

It takes a special kind of storytelling to allow a reader to fall in love with a deadly, haunted place, and that it exactly what happened when I stepped inside Elizabeth Yon's Johns Woods, the backdrop for all four stories in Blackfern Girls.

Ms. Yon has a distinct talent for lifting the veil between the world we know and what we cannot see, what is tangible and that which lurks in the corner of our eye. What her very human characters face when the veil lifts tests their mettle at every turn; the outcomes surprise.

While not directly connected, these four stories draw on one another, often revealing a thread from somewhere else in Blackfern County. Much in the way of Stephen King, whose world is vast and populous, Ms. Yon's characters move through their lives--and deaths--leaving marks in others' stories where they go.

Ms. Yon lures readers into the shades and shadows of the Johns Woods, and as her tales make their way into the forgotten hollows of Blackfern County, those shadows grow deeper and show their teeth. Girlhood is indeed hard in these woods, throughout and beyond time and place.

Fans of Ms. Yon's blog, The Palace of Night, will recognize Gideon Crowe, whose cameo in "Local Honey" gives a new glimpse of his peculiar journey, and begs the question, when will Elizabeth Yon give us his story in full?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackfern Girls.

Started Reading