Tatiana Dengo's Reviews > Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales

Gothic! by Deborah Noyes

Before you read this collection, understand that these are NOT horror stories nor do they claim to be. Gothic stories are dark yes, and they often include: mysteries, old dwellings, and a touch of the supernatural. Deborah Noyes does an excellent job of explaining the nuances in the introduction.

There's very few gothic stories in our school's library which I haven't yet read, and thankfully these satisfied my craving.

Some are quite traditional, with an old house, creepy things happening, etc. Some are hair-raisingly spooky, especially the one with the boys. And the others seemed experimental for the sake of being so. These included very world-specific details, yet explained almost nothing, and ended extremely vaguely. I won't hide behind pride and say I "got" them, because I didn't, and I was not impressed.

Leaving your readers hanging by a thread takes skill, because you need the exact combination of vagueness plus enough detail where pushing your readers off the tracks is the most satisfying act you could have done.

There's also a couple of stories in this collection where the ending was just too terrible to put into words and had the authors done so, it probably would've pushed their stories away from the gothic category and into the spectrum of horror.

My favorites were: Watch and Wake by M.T. Anderson, and Morgan Roehmar's Boys by Vivian Vande Velde.

Surprisingly, the stories from the three authors I did know (Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix and Gregory Maguire), were at the bottom of the list in terms of spookiness and ending satisfaction. Neil Gaiman was trying to be ironically funny and clever and I'm sure I could have appreciated it more if that's what I had been looking for in a collection of Gothic stories. Not my cup of tea at the moment but I appreciate the sentiment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gothic!.

October 8, 2014 – Started Reading