Cassia Brightmore's Reviews > Blood and Sympathy

Blood and Sympathy by Lori L. Clark

F 50x66

bookshelves: arcs

Blood and Sympathy Teaser #2 (2)
The cover of this book is what initially drew me in. I found it interesting, it had me wanting to learn more about what was lying inside waiting for me to discover. They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but in this case - it worked in my favor. Blood and Sympathy was a fantastic read, one that captured and held my attention, that left me heartbroken in some places and on the edge of my seat in others. I found the concept of the difference and similarities that lie in the relationships of siblings to be unique. The book touched on nature vs nurture and how the upbringing of two children can result in two very different individuals, no matter what the circumstances. What happens when good collides with evil in the most horrible way?

Braden Sayer has been locked away in juvie for 6 years. An accomplice to a heinous act, he spends his childhood growing up in confinement. His twin brother Brogan is to thank for his fate, the mastermind behind a crime that landed them both in lock up. Braden is definitely the kinder of the two, the boy who always strived to make others happy, to do the best he could. Vowing to change his future when he is released on his 18th birthday, his only goal is to live out his sentence and get his life back on track as quickly as possible. When a letter arrives from a new pen pal, a girl he remembers from the life he left behind...things begin to change.
“I know he’s blood and all, but blood is no reason for sympathy.”

Claire Copeland isn’t the good daughter. The youngest daughter of Reverand Copeland, the pressure to live up to her perfect older sister’s image is high. Olivia is exactly the type of daughter the Reverand can be proud of. The two girls couldn’t be more different if they tried, Claire the typical rebellious girl, Olivia the upstanding good girl. Despite their varying personalities, the two are very close and that is something I loved. The sibling rivalry was well natured, at the root of it all, they counted on each other. When Olivia convinces Claire to begin writing to an inmate at the juvenile detention center as a pen pal, she at first protests. I mean really, what young high school girl wants to waste their time writing to some criminal? But after a few letters are exchanged with Braden, its clear there is more to him than just bad behaviour. It isn’t long before a bond is formed between the two. I found that I loved this part of the book most of all. Experiencing the two of them fall for each other through their letters was heartwarming and so unique. I was in a hurry to get to the next scenes with their letters to each other. Two souls who are seen as the bad, the good in them not recognized by those around them, they found each other in a time they needed someone the most.
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending

Braden’s release sets in motion a turn of events that cannot be undone. Sinister forces and evil lurk in the shadows, there are people that would rather see them suffer than find the happiness they both desire. As the two explore a relationship beyond letters, will the bond they formed be strong enough to combat what’s coming? What do you do when the walls you built threaten to come crashing down? Is blood really thicker than water? This is a book that will keep you guessing with the suspense, warm your heart with love and shatter you with the unthinkable.
“By the strength within, I shall succeed.”

xo Cassia
See Reviews and More
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Sympathy.

October 8, 2014 – Shelved