Karen Collier's Reviews > Love Unexpected

Love Unexpected by Jody Hedlund

bookshelves: netgalley

Love Unexpected kept me turning the pages long after I should’ve been asleep, and I enjoyed every minute of reading it. I’d definitely recommend this for fans of historical romance, particularly if you’re into lighthouses, stories of redemption, marriage-of-convenience stories, and/or pirates.

I loved the emotional vulnerability of the characters because I thought it added a real poignancy as their relationship developed over the course of the story. Husband and wife each entered the marriage with insecurities arising from their past that caused them to doubt whether their new spouse could ever come to love them. Their fear of rejection makes it that much harder to reach out, but also that much more wonderful when they do. Definitely some sigh-worthy moments here as they get to know and trust each other. ☺

As if fear of rejection weren’t enough for a newlywed couple to deal with, Emma also has to figure out how to parent a two-year-old and cook without burning everything from biscuits to soup, while Patrick has to keep the arrival of an unsavory element from his past from jeopardizing his job and his relationship with Emma. Plot twists and turns, plus a bit of mystery serve to keep things interesting from beginning to end.

This is the first novel in Jody Hedlund’s Beacons of Hope series, but there’s also a lovely prequel novella called Out of the Storm that I reviewed at EIR a few months ago. Chronologically, the novella comes first, and its story comes up in this one as an example of hope, but honestly I think you could read them in either order without missing anything. I’ve enjoyed both so far, and I’m looking forward to the release of the second full novel in the series, Hearts Made Whole, coming in June.

Thank you to Bethany House for providing an electronic copy of this book via NetGalley for review purposes.

This review first appeared on the Edgy Inspirational Romance blog.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Unexpected.

October 8, 2014 – Shelved