William Herr's Reviews > SLAM

SLAM by Tash McAdam

Fair Disclosure: I know Tash McAdam personally, and was given an advance copy, for review purposes.

SLAM is Tash McAdam's first book, and she came in with, well, a slam. No, that wasn't meant to be a clever play on words. It just came out that way.

SLAM follows the main character, a young psionic girl who fights, first to prove her efficacy as a soldier, and then to prove herself on her first mission. As the lead-in for the Psionics series, there is a lot of information to convey, and we learn it all through the eyes of a troubled, angry young woman.

Tash has created a taught, believable world filled with comprehensible characters and believable danger, targeted toward the YA market. I admit that I was put off, at first, by the third-person present-tense style, but as I sank into the book it lent an aura of immediacy that otherwise would have been absent. Good choice, there.

In many ways, SLAM deviates from the standard. Of course the style is different, but beyond this, we are not assured of a happy ending. Soldiers can die, and Tash does not let us forget that. Injuries are real. Pain hurts. This makes the book both darker, and more convincing. The main villain adheres to King's rule of "never show the zipper". They act from afar, and never allow the reader to dismiss them. You know that they are present, and you feel their intent. At the same time, you want the characters to avoid them at all costs. Any more would be a spoiler, so I will leave it at that.

Finally, the twists that pop up through the plot really do catch one by surprise, even though the clues to their existence are available right from the start. No spoilers there, either. You will just have to read it, to find out.

By all means, check this book out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SLAM.

October 7, 2014 – Started Reading