Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽'s Reviews > Time and Again

Time and Again by Jack Finney

liked it
bookshelves: dnf, maybe-later, time-travel, science-fiction, gimmick-alert

I'm not sure what happened with this time travel tale, where a man travels back to NYC in the late 1800's and gets involved in the lives of some people in a boarding house in that era, except that it got just a little slow for me about 1/2 or 2/3 through. So I skimmed the rest and read the ending (my husband HATES it when I do that), and kind of lost interest. I keep meaning to get back to it but it's never happened, and it's been at least a year.

This reminds me quite strongly of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, where an author takes a bunch of vintage photos and builds a story around them. I thought it was a gimmick in that book and I tend to think so here as well. Time and Again is pretty well-written, though, and a lot of people like it a lot better than I did.

Maybe I really will finish it sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time and Again.

October 7, 2014 – Shelved
October 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 7, 2016 – Shelved as: dnf
June 7, 2016 – Shelved as: maybe-later
June 7, 2016 – Shelved as: time-travel
June 7, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fiction
June 7, 2016 – Shelved as: gimmick-alert

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Rachel Piper The final third picked up steam, but not enough to redeem the overall drag.

message 2: by Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ (last edited Jun 08, 2016 08:00PM) (new) - added it

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ I actually received this book as a gift quite a few years ago and I kind of forgot about it. Though your review doesn't really do much to bump it up on my list:)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "I actually received this book as a gift quite a few years ago and I kind of forgot about it. Though your review doesn't really do much to bump it up on my list:)"

A couple of my GR friends really loved it, so don't let me stop you. :) It's more about 1880's New York and the people the main character meets there, than time travel SF per se.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Good idea to skip to the end. Life is too short for boring books.

Cynthia Harris I absolutely agree with Tadiana. I skipped through this much-anticipated book from halfway and read the end, having lost enthusiasm and interest.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Cynthia wrote: "I absolutely agree with Tadiana. I skipped through this much-anticipated book from halfway and read the end, having lost enthusiasm and interest."

Glad it wasn't just me!

Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn It's been a while, but I remember enjoying this. I remember it being kind of a slow read, but in maybe a whimsical way that worked for me?

message 8: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Jul 05, 2018 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Jamie (ReadsInTrees) wrote: "It's been a while, but I remember enjoying this. I remember it being kind of a slow read, but in maybe a whimsical way that worked for me?"

I think for me it just got a little too slow. But some of my GR friends (Joe Valdez in particular - I bought this book because he hyped it so much) whose literary tastes I respect, really liked it. I thought it would be my kind of thing but it just didn't really grab me.

Teresa I really enjoyed this Tadiana even though it's been many years since I read it. He also has books of short stories which are very interesting. Loved those.