Talie Campbell's Reviews > Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham

bookshelves: favourites, non-fiction

I know there's a lot of controversy and dislike surrounding ‪Not That Kind of Girl‬ but I loved it and will defend Lena Dunham until death.

I read so many bad and mixed reviews before and during my reading of this book, which I find absolutely baffling. This is a young woman's account of the events of her life and her innermost thoughts thus far. Memoirs aren't the kind of book that you can form negative opinions on. As far as I'm concerned, you either liked it or it wasn't for you.

There aren't a lot of young people, especially young women, nowadays who are comfortable being so shamelessly and brutally themselves. Lena is so open that she practically appears naked on the pages in front of you. She doesn't bathe herself in glory, neither does she downplay the fact that she's lived an interesting life and she thinks that people will want to hear about it.

Lena is certainly a character, and fair enough if she isn't for you, but this is by no means a bad book. Personally I think it's wonderful but that's because I think she is wonderful (fangirl moment, no shame).

She is very much moulded by her upbringing and, yes, she was luckier and more privileged (possibly more sheltered) than most, but she's honest about it and more importantly, isn't ashamed of it. None of us have much say over how we were brought up and how we behaved when we were younger as a result of this so what is the point of trying to hide it or evolve into something you're not.

Learn, grow, yes. Completely try to erase your past... What's the point? We develop from our past and that's exactly what this book is about: "A Young Woman Tells You What She's 'Learned'".

Whether you vibe with Lena's eccentric personality or not, she deserves the highest of praise for putting herself out there, body and soul.

The writing style of this book is witty, interesting and captivating; exactly like its author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not That Kind of Girl.

October 7, 2014 – Shelved