rahul's Reviews > Freedom from the Known

Freedom from the Known by Jiddu Krishnamurti

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read November 3, 2014 to November 20, 2014.

But we do not ask. We want to be told. One of the most curious things in the structure of our psyche is that we all want to be told because we are the result of the propaganda of ten thousand years. We want to have our thinking confirmed and corroborated by another, whereas to ask a question is to ask it of yourself. What I say has very little value. You will forget it the moment you shut this book, or you will remember and repeat certain phrases, or you will compare what you have read here with some other book - but you will not face your own life.

And that is all that matters - your life, yourself, your pettiness, your shallowness, your brutality, your violence, your greed, your ambition, your daily agony and endless sorrow - that is what you have to understand and nobody on earth or in heaven is going to save you from it but yourself.

So...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom from the Known.

October 7, 2014 – Shelved
October 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2014 – Started Reading
November 3, 2014 –
page 15
11.72% "Looks like I will end up highlighting every line in this book. Almost.."
November 4, 2014 –
page 20
15.63% "A man who says, 'I want to change, tell me how to', seems very earnest, very serious, but he is not. He wants an authority whom he hopes will bring about order in himself. But can authority ever bring about inward order? Order imposed from without must always breed disorder."
November 4, 2014 –
page 30
23.44% "We live in fragments. You are one thing at the office, another at home; you talk about democracy and in your heart you are autocratic; you talk about loving your neighbours, yet kill him with competition; there is one part of you working, looking, independently of the other. Are you aware of this fragmentary existence in yourself? And is it possible for a brain that has broken up its own functioning, its thinking..."
November 5, 2014 –
page 40
November 5, 2014 –
0.0% "It is the struggle to repeat and perpetuate pleasure which turns it into pain. Watch it in yourself. The very demand for the repetition of pleasure brings about pain, because it is not the same, as it was yesterday. You struggle to achieve the same delight, not only to your aesthetic sense but the same inward quality of the mind, and you are hurt and disappointed because it is denied to you."
November 10, 2014 –
0.0% "We are always comparing what we are with what we should be. The should-be is a projection of what we think we ought to be. Contradiction exists when there is comparison, not only with something or somebody, but with what you were yesterday, and hence there is conflict between what has been and what is. There is what is only when there is no comparison at all, and to live with what is, is to be peaceful."
November 11, 2014 –
0.0% "You are never alone because you are full of all the memories, all the conditioning, all the mutterings of yesterday; your mind is never clear of all the rubbish it has accumulated. To be alone you must die to the past. When you are alone, totally alone, not belonging to any family, any nation, any culture, any particular continent, there is that sense of being an outsider."
November 13, 2014 –
0.0% "To find out actually what takes place when you die you must die. You must die - not physically but psychologically, inwardly, die to the things you have cherished and to the things you are bitter about. If you have died to one\n of your pleasures, the smallest or the greatest, naturally, without any enforcement or argument, then you will know what it means to die.Freedom from the known is death nd then you are living."
November 20, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
November 20, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 13, 2017 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
May 18, 2017 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
May 18, 2017 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

rahul We live in fragments. You are one thing at the office, another at home; you talk about democracy and in your heart you are autocratic; you talk about loving your neighbours, yet kill him with competition; there is one part of you working, looking, independently of the other. Are you aware of this fragmentary existence in yourself? And is it possible for a brain that has broken up its own functioning, its own thinking, into fragments - is it possible for such a brain to be aware of the whole field? Is it possible to look at the whole of consciousness completely, totally, which means to be a total human being?

Rakhi Dalal Glad you liked it :-)

rahul Rakhi wrote: "Glad you liked it :-)"

I am glad for myself, for having read it. And now towards paying Attention .

:-)