Marie's Reviews > Second Position

Second Position by Katherine  Locke

Find this and other reviews at Ramblings of a Daydreamer.

Second Position is a beautiful, unique story about second chances at life and at love. Aly and Zed’s scars - mental and physical - run deep. They hurt each other, they hurt themselves, and now they’re trying to heal, together and separately. Nothing came easily for them, and I appreciated that, because every step of their recovery, every step back to each other, although painful to read about at times, was believable. It made me root for them that much harder because their obstacles never felt like plot devices, they felt like things real people go through. Aly and Zed had so much history, and that was both good and bad. They’d changed so much in the years since the accident, so while things were familiar and certain traits and habits were familiar, they had to get to know each other all over again in a lot of ways. These two characters became so real to me, I felt like I was watching two friends struggling to find their way.

One of my favourite things about Second Position was Aly’s growth. She had so much going against her. Her own mind was her worst enemy, and that’s a scary and dangerous thing. I loved her passion, and that even though ballet had the potential to destroy her, it was more than just what she did, it was who she was. The lessons she learned - working toward being okay, learning to be healthy, learning that sometimes you have to fall apart to find yourself and put yourself back together - were not only beautiful and poignant, but relatable as well.

Second Position is unique in a lot of ways. It deals with different situations than many other books, particularly in NA, plus Locke’s writing style and the way in which the story is told is really unique. I liked the alternating chapters and getting to see both Aly and Zed’s perspectives, and I also really enjoyed Aly’s therapy sessions. The very last chapter was one of the most creative ideas I’ve seen, and while at first I was like ‘wait, what’s happening here?’ it only took a minute to realize that bold move added to this book’s uniqueness. I was smiling and crying happy tears by the end.

If you enjoy books that feature strong, relatable characters who leap off the page, vividly written scenes, and situations that will make your heart ache even as they fill you with hope, Second Position shouldn’t be missed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Position.

October 6, 2014 – Shelved