Kirsty 's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jun 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: signed

Lauren Oliver's second offering as a YA author is a story set in a future dystopian world in which Love is considered a disease and removed from you when you become 18.

Lauren's book is written really well. The prose is seamless and flows nicely throughout. I liked the main characters and I thought the world and the ideas put forward were interesting. Lena was very sweet in her ideals and her world outlook. I liked seeing her interactions with her friends and was fascinated with the idea of a world without love. The part that really tood out for me was the description of how parents behaved towards their offspring and how different they were towards their children without experiencing love for them. I also enjoyed how each chapter had a little "quote" from various pieces of literature that existed in Lena's world. I thought it was lovely touch that added to the richness of the novel.

However I have to be totally honest and say for me Delirium was not as good as I had hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but I had built it up so much in my head because of all the hype around the blogosphere about it and for me it fell a little short. Where I was disappointed in this book was in its pace. I spent most of the first 300 pages hoping and waiting for something to happen. I certainly wasn't gripped and could have easily put the book down and not continued and not felt like I had missed out.

That being said had I done that I certainly would have missed out because the best part about this book was the last 150 pages or so which is when a lot of what you have heard throughout the story is turned on its head and you get a new perspective on the story. This part was fast paced, gripping and all in all a bit awesome. The final chapter was heart breaking and has left me desperately wanting the next instalment in the series.

All in all is delirium a book I would recommend? Yes but only to my fellow YA book fanantics. I certainly wouldn't offer it to my friends who are less patient with reading as I can think of several other titles that are more gripping from the outset. Just like Lauren's first book it is one of those titles I had to 'stick with' to get through the build up but I am certainly glad I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.