Eric's Reviews > Stories: All-New Tales

Stories by Neil Gaiman

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, neil-gaiman, chuck-palahniuk, signed, vampire, lawrence-block
Recommended for: Fans of short fiction; Anyone looking for new authors to read

I got a signed copy of this book at a speaking engagement Neil Gaiman did at Columbia Teachers College with the following authors from the book: Kurt Andersen, Lawrence Block, Jeffrey Ford, Joe Hill, Kat Howard and Walter Mosley.

I read a number of the stories, which I will comment on briefly below (more to help me keep track of which I've read and liked, than for the review).

'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains', by Neil Gaiman:

Oh, Neil Gaiman, how I love everything you write. I only wish this imaginative short story was fleshed out into a complete novel. Sigh.

'Juvenal Nyx', by Walter Mosley:

Despite enjoying hearing him speak, and being interesting in the premise (vampires), this story was my least favorite of the selections I read.

'The Knife', by Richard Adams:

This story was very short and lacked punch. The "twist" in the last paragraph, where the narrative voice changes, left a lot to be desired.

'Goblin Lake', by Michael Swanwick:

Definitely one of the better stories I read in this volume -- on par with the Neil Gaiman story.

'Catch and Release', by Lawrence Block:

An interesting story from the point-of-view of a serial killer.

'Loser', by Chuck Palaniuk:

Another really interesting short story, one that could have only come from the twisted mind of Chuck Palaniuk. I love how he makes it so clear that the game show in question is "The Price is Right" without ever mentioning it by name.

'A Life in Fictions', by Kat Howard:

An interesting premise that seemed to get bogged down by the writer paying more attention to the language than the story.

'The Therapist', by Jeffrey Deaver

Another of my favorites from this collection -- part first person serial-killer crime diary, part third-person court-room drama.

'Parallel Lines', by Tim Powers

Interesting but ultimately uninspiring, I was kind of expecting more from Tim Powers.

'Human Intelligence', by Kurt Anderson:

Another one of my favorite stories in this collection. Very imaginative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories.

June 16, 2010 – Started Reading
June 27, 2010 – Finished Reading
July 6, 2010 – Shelved as: signed
August 9, 2010 – Shelved as: vampire
September 6, 2011 – Shelved as: lawrence-block

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sarah I never like Tim Powers short stories as much as I like his novels.

Eric This was the first short story of his I'd read, and I won't be knocking down any doors to find more.