K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, ya, sci-fi, dystopian, populist
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace

Highly enjoyable. Hooks you at the very start. I drive through the traffic everyday: about an hour in the morning and definitely more than an hour at nighttime. So, while reading the first few pages of the book, I said, wow this should happen here in Manila. Imagine all adults to disappear altogether without a trace at one time and all adolescents will follow once they turn fifteen. Obviously, this is okay as long as I and my loved ones are exempted hehe.

This is a YA book and so the characters are all young adults. Sam has a friend, Quinn and a love interest, Astrid. Together, they find the possible reason for the disappearance of the people and they meet all interesting characters and go through a lot of twists and turns (just like the everyday Manila traffic) to get into the bottom of this phenomenon including its possible solution.

The storytelling is straightforward and Grant's imagination is so fertile I thought I would write a letter to our President Noynoy and recommend him to solve the congestion of vehicles during rush and even not too rush hours. Why not? If a YA author like Grant can think of all the interesting characters and situations in the book, maybe his creativity can be put to better use not only for readers but for the whole country or even the whole world. World peace, anyone?

My only complaint about this book is attributable to myself. Why oh why did a 48-year old man like me find this more enjoyable if not better read than Kazuo Ishiguro's surreal The Unconsoled? I really don't know. It is more readable, more gripping, made my heart beat faster and it does not make me sleepy every time I am holding it. Oh maybe, I don't read too many YA books so having it once in a while feels liberating. Or maybe I am having a midlife crisis so I find this kind of plot not revolting but definitely worth my reading time?

I will definitely borrow the next 4 books and read them in between the literary classics. Maybe that would be my strategy to finish the 1001 books before I die.

Thank you, Ace Jose. I hope you stop growing so you keep on buying and reading YA books and then pass them on to me. I hope that, despite our huge age difference, we will be friends forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

June 16, 2010 – Shelved
July 18, 2012 – Shelved as: borrowed
July 21, 2012 – Started Reading
July 23, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
July 25, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 25, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 21, 2012 – Shelved as: populist

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Marina. My dear friend lent me this book so I don't want to mention anything negative. 2 stars means "It's okay" i.e., I don't like it but I don't hate it. That's exactly how I felt about this book. Sorry.

Paul Your review says it was 'highly enjoyable' and goes on to praise the book. How then, can it be 'OK', where you neither like it nor dislike it? Seems a bit contradictory. I also found it 'highly enjoyable' and gave it four stars to reflect this. Peace out.

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Paul. :)

Temi Abimbola Wow you gave a really positive review on this book, and gave it a 2 star so i wondered if it was a mistake, then i read your one complaint about it, about you being 42. And I laughed lol because I know exactly what you mean, even for an 18 year like myself i felt a little too old to be reading this book as well.

K.D. Absolutely Temi, hahaha! :)

message 6: by D (new) - rated it 4 stars

D Carr I am glad I read your review. Like others, based on the stars you gave it, I had reasoned you did not really enjoy it.

message 7: by Darlean (new) - added it

Darlean your review makes it now impossible for me not to read this book!

K.D. Absolutely Oh no, don't take my word for it, D and Darlean. :)

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather A little confused that you gave it two stars but say you liked it??

message 10: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Ratchford-jenkins I get it. 2 stars. Love it/hate it...this book is killing me!!!! I don't know that I can do anymore YA books, but I probably will. Because what's easier to read while sitting at the pool or when kids are running under my feet!

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Hart Yeah I'm glad I checked the review. Two stars is negative and yet your review was glowing on all counts.

message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely Two stars in Goodreads means "It's okay."

message 13: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely Just, oh yeah! Why not? hehe

Chenoa Nichols I'm 16 and reading it now, I really like how Grant suggests the world could end, and I feel that some things are relatable in the way the characters talk and act but some things I feel would be very stereotypical of teenager

message 15: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Chenoa.

Wahaj Siddiqi " . . . to finish the 1001 books before I die."

This is going on my bucket list.

message 17: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely Wahaj wrote: "" . . . to finish the 1001 books before I die."

This is going on my bucket list."

Good for you Wahaj. Good luck! :)